Part 6.

'Do you think that will look good on me?' Jenna asked pointing at a skimpy dress the model was showing off, walking on a makeshift runway at the centre of the grand ball room of an upscale hotel. Jenna's job gave her free passes to many events around the city which she shared with her friends (mainly me). If not for the free passes, I would have never stepped into such events.

'You look good in everything,' I truthfully answered since she was a beautiful person in and out and I had never seen anything she wore that did not suit her.

'Touche. It will look good on you too, you know. Why don't you buy it?'

'Ha ha... have you ever seen me buy such things?' I said pointing at the models walking in front of us. 'And besides it probably costs half a months pay.'

'Not half month's pay but a full month's pay after considering your hike due to promotion.'

I had accepted the new position at the office and was to start in a week.

'What! That's ridiculous! It's teeny tiny....hardly a yard of cloth!'

'Shh...Mother Theresa! We will get thrown out of here if someone hears your comment.' She shushed me by waving a finger over her lips while holding a glass of wine in the other hand. I immediately shut up and began looking around my surroundings. 'You should buy something like this, now that love may come knocking anytime,' she said.

'Why will love come knocking now?' I asked eager to know her theory behind this proclamation.

'Because... You are opening up a lot. This is the first time since I have known you that I have seen you open to something new. Like... right now when I said you should buy this dress, you did not shoot that down immediately rather you were more interested in why love will find a way to you.'

'No, I was just more interested in your proclamation that's all.' I said thoughtfully as I took a sip.

'And what about the other changes that I have noticed in you lately?' She asked.

'Like what?' I asked with furrowed brows.

'Like you toning down your workaholic nature and dedicating time to update your story.'

I looked down at my drink and thoughtfully nodded as she continued, 'Since you are opening your heart, I think you will break the wall and even allow someone to come into your life.'

'You know what a practical thing to do would be?'

She gave me a confused look as I had changed the subject. 

'I  think rather than me buying  the dress and leaving it hanging in the wardrobe forever in hopes that I will ever wear it, you should buy it. You have an immediate requirement, a date tonight.'

'Evade all you want but the story will work its magic, trust me,' she said with a smile.

After failing to locate Aiden, Emma finally returned home. She did not know what to do. She had tried all the possible places. She wondered how do people in books or movies always have a place to hide out or to escape while in real life we do not have that spot to visit. If there was something like that, she could have found Aiden there. To keep her mind occupied, she began scribbling a story. She wrote until she was exhausted and could sleep without a thought in her head. Two days passed with no word from him. On Monday, as Emma walked into the school, she saw Aiden with his friends near his locker. She froze on the spot. She was happy he was back but she was worried as to what made him disappear and also she was angry at what had happened in the last couple of days. She decided against walking up to him, instead, she walked in the opposite direction towards her locker. If he did not want to talk to her, she did not want to push him. She attended all her classes like any other day and then it was time for the class she and Aiden shared.  She sat at the far end of the class, away from her regular seat, so as to be not spotted easily.