Part 30

I sat down with my morning cup of coffee on the couch. The day before, after I stormed out leaving my phone in my apartment, I walked for hours and finally found a place that had lights on, had heat on a very cold night and was open till dawn - a 24 hour froyo place. I sat down in a corner away from the windows. I was exhausted and I really needed a break but thought that I did not deserve it since I blamed myself for what had happened. I spent a lot of time in that tiny shop, mostly observing a few people coming in to get froyo so late at night. Finally I decided to get back home hoping both the boys had left and I could quietly slip into the covers.

I returned home to find Jenna and Nick in the living room. Jenna was just getting off the phone as I entered. She hugged me tight and said, 'Go get some sleep, we'll talk tomorrow.'

I barely slept and was now staring into oblivion when I was brought back by Jenna saying, 'Sleep well?'

She sat down next to me as I shook my head.

'Yesterday was tough.'

'Umm hmm, so tough that I am thinking why didn't I get drunk and hook up with some random guy or just agree to get a dog instead of writing that story.'

'The outcome would have been drastically different,' she said trying to suppress her laughter.

I looked at her with a pout.

'Come on it was not so bad...I have seen you calm and poised and finally you had that "My name is Rory" moment where you finally let it all out.'

'Oh my God don't remind me of my meltdown.' I said briefly covering half my face with my hand. 'Did I say something that I shouldn't have? I remember only getting mad and storming off but what I said in the heat of the moment I have no clue cause I said so many things.'

'You didn't. And plus considering all the secrets that were spilled, I doubt anyone remembers anything else. But now you know – Liam likes you and so does Aiden.'

'I don't know what it is with Aiden. It's like I am playing hot and cold with him. He kept away from me all these days, couldn't he have just let it go yesterday?'

'It's Aiden, you two are like two poles of a magnet – you are attracted but you resist by letting something hold you back. But I must say the problem is with you two and nothing else is holding you back. Just talk it out and be done with it.'

'It's easier said than done.' I took a sip thoughtfully. I had a lot to say, 'Let me start by talking to you.' I said looking at my cup with guilt.

Jenna turned sideways picking up a pillow and resting her elbows on that and looking at me intently.

'When I met Liam on the blind date, it came as a surprise. I was not open to the idea of us dating again but as we got talking, I felt that I had forgiven him a long time ago. He seemed more responsible and both of us were handling this in a very mature way. He confessed that back when we were dating, he kissed the girl in a drunken state but also that it was a result of us drifting apart for some time. As our lunch came to an end, he proposed to give our relationship another chance. I was hesitant but with the intense narration of the story and me realising that I wanted to be open about having a partner, I asked him for time to think. After coming back home I talked to him for a long time, telling him about my fear that this may not work out again. But he promised to do whatever it took to make our relationship work. The next morning I had a bunch of flowers delivered with a note about taking a second chance. I was worried that you would judge me for getting back with Liam and that is the reason I kept it a secret.'

'May be you were right. When I first heard it, I was....it was like a big blast. I mean look at the coincidence here....my mom setting you two up. But then it all made sense. You returning back from the date and confessing that you are keeping something from me, the note from Liam about second chance, you acting all jittery whenever we three were in the same room.... And most of all I know now your indecisiveness about Liam.' I let my head fall back as I heard her. She had sensed it.