Part 12

The next morning, as I rushed around the apartment, getting ready for the office, I heard the doorbell. Half dressed, I peeped out of my room and called out to Jenna.

'Don't worry, I got it,' she replied as she walked out of her room and answered the door.

I hurriedly pulled up my pants when Jenna called out from the living room. Her tone was a questioning as well as a surprised one. Before I could answer her, she called out again and I could sense impatience in her voice 'You really need to see this.'

Now I was really curious. Holding a comb in one hand and a my purse in the other, I joined her in the living room. I found her staring at a bouquet of lily of the valley along with ivy placed on the coffee table. Jenna stood beside it with her hands on her hips and impatiently tapping her left foot. As I joined her in staring at the delicate and beautiful arrangement of flowers, she turned around and gave me a card that was delivered along with it, 'this came for you.'

I already knew who would have sent these flowers but I wanted to read the card nevertheless. I always find well written messages charming. It read:

"To finding happiness in second chances.

Hoping to seeing you again.

- Liam"

Jenna was peeping in as I read the card. 'Eeeeee' she let out a joyful screech.

I stared at the flowers for a few seconds and answered Jenna's curious stare, 'Yeah, I am excited too. After the date, I didn't know what to expect. But looks like he is still interested in me.'

'I am happy for you!' Jenna hugged me while jumping on the spot.

I smiled as I walked to the front door. I opened the door to walk out when I remembered that Jenna would be going out of town for office work in a few hours. I turned around and said 'Jenna, have a safe flight.'

'Thanks! See you in three days.' Her attention had now moved back to the flowers as she said, 'and keep me posted,' with a broad smile.

I was glad to have a friend who was so excited about all the good things in my life but I couldn't help but wonder if her smile could get any broader. I smiled back and closed the door behind me. Just I exited the building my phone rang. It was Liam.

'Hi, Thanks for the flowers,' I said as I answered the phone and continued to walk towards my parked car.

'Hope you liked them,' Liam said from the other end.

'I did.'

'So what do you say about second chance...another date?'

'I would like that,' I replied without hesitation, much to my surprise. Now that I had decided to give this relationship a chance, it did not make any sense to think twice.

'How about tomorrow night?' he asked and before I could reply, he continued, 'I know it is a weekday and that you are busy on weekdays, but I will be out of town over the weekend and so thought that we could meet earlier. Is that okay?'

'Sure.' I replied. I thought that was a little hurried but it was sweet as well.

Later that day, as I was working in my cabin at the office, I received a call from my mom. My parents had continued to live in Michigan after I had moved out. They both sometimes complained of long winters but I think a large social circle and the fall colours won over cold winters. Mom informed me that they had finalised on a property and our home was put on the market. They had been planning on selling the house I spent my high school years in, and buying a smaller place for sometime now. So this did not come as a surprise. They planned to move to the new place in a few weeks. After talking to her for some time, I hung up and began planning to visit my parents. I had not visited them in a couple of months so I thought is would be nice to visit them and help them with the move. I quickly checked flights and booked tickets.