Part 35

Note: This is the only chapter that begins with the story and moves on to the real world.

---------------------------------------------------------------

'I don't have a dress to the wedding.' Emma's shrill voice filled the living room.

'You will meet him at the wedding?' Jenna asked walking over to join her friend.

'I have to. I'm not sure wedding's tomorrow but there must be a rehearsal dinner or something similar and he is not answering his phone. So there is no way to know. I will find him there...at whatever. Also it's not like I'm crashing the wedding. He had informally invited me before things got awkward.' Ending her narration, Emma stood up tapping her foot impatiently, 'I don't have a dress.'

'That can be fixed. Follow me.' Entering her room Jenna opened her wardrobe for Emma to pick out a dress. 'Pick any of these.'

'This one,' Emma said quickly making a choice and picking out a dark blue, halterneck short dress.

'Perfect!' Jenna taking out the dress, held it in front of her.

Emma rushed back to her room and folded the dress into her bag. Zipping it up she said, 'Thank you so much for everything! I really have no idea what I would have done without you!' She gave her dear friend a hug.

'I'm so excited for you! You have to tell me everything once you meet Aiden, okay?'

'I will.' Emma dragged out her bag and rushed to the airport.

At the airport Emma passed through the security and anxiously dragged her bag around to reach her gate. She could not wait to meet Aiden. She had to wait until the next day but what she wanted to say was all prepared in her head. She would say....

'Emma!' Aiden's voice rang loud and clear among the buzzing sound of luggage rolling and the announcements on the PA system in the background.

Was that really Aiden? Emma stopped and turned around to look but could not see him. She spun around in a circle but could not see him.

'Emma!' Aiden's voice rang again. 'Up here' he said and Emma looked up to see him bending over the railings, calling out her name from a level above her's.

'Please wait for me,' he said and quickly disappeared to reappear a few minutes later walking through the crowds towards her. As soon as their eyes met, rest of the airport went into slow motion. His stride was not hurried but rather like yearning to get to her. This was not how she had imagined it and hence she was unprepared for what Aiden may have to say. She held her breath as he walked over.

Reaching her he dropped his duffle bag at his feet and taking her hands into his, he said, 'Emma I'm not here to stop you from leaving. I just want you to here me out. I just want to say that I love you. I have loved you for the longest time. No one has ever made me feel the way you do. You bring out the best in me. You make me smile.'

He paused and longingly looked at her and said,'I thought that I lost you before Jenna called. I know that you like me and I know that you are afraid that I will hurt you again. You did not tell me about your breakup and now are flying off to Chicago to get away from me, to avoid getting hurt. I regret not having told you about how I felt when you were leaving for college. Not everyone gets it but I got a second chance to be a part of your life and I don't want to mess up this time. All I'm asking is one chance to prove to you that I will do anything that it takes to make this work. If you want, I will move to Chicago. I'll get on that plane with you right now, I'll do what it takes if you give me a chance...but please don't leave things like this between us.'