Part 18

My parents were so excited to see me that for a couple of hours after I reached home we just sat chatting at the dining table with coffee and fresh croissant.

Later, I stood in the living room looking around. There were cartons lying around and a few things looked like they had been moved around. But other than that, it looked like my home as I had left it many years ago.

'We have left your room untouched,' dad said joining me.

'You need not keep all of my things. I will sort them out.'

'You can keep as many things as you want.' Dad patted my back lovingly.

'What are you doing with all those?' I asked looking at a few bulky things stacked in a corner.

'We plan to have a yard sale. So if there is something you want to sell, put it in the garage.'

'Sure,' I replied.

We were soon immersed in work- sorting, packing and piling. We ran out of cartons so I decided to make a run to a near by grocery store.

Picking up the cartons I was walking back to the car, looking around for familiar stores and restaurants. I was a few spots away from my car when I stopped in my tracks. Just opposite to my parked car stood younger version of Aiden. He looked younger than Aiden I had a run in few days ago or rather he looked like the person I went out with in high school. He was busy on his phone, leaning against a silver Honda Accord. It took me a second to realize it was Justin, Aiden's younger brother.

'Eva?' I heard Aiden from behind me before I could walk over to talk to Justin.

'Hi!' I said quickly turning around.

He wore a confused or a worried look which I could not decipher. But his gathered brows smoothed quickly as he asked, 'What are you doing here?'

'Visiting my parents.'

'Are you moving?' he asked pointing the cartons in my hands.

'My parents are moving to a smaller place. I am here to help them.' I observed him as I answered trying to find signs of the reason he had left a few days before. He was carrying bags of groceries in his right hand and held car keys in the left.

He looked down and rubbed his chin with his index finger before looking back at me and speaking. 'I am sorry I had to leave the other day. I did not get your number so could not contact you.'

I looked at him with pursed lips. I really did not know what to say.

'Can I have your number?' He looked at me with earnest eyes.

'Sure,' I said as I dictated my number. It was just a number and he may very well never get in touch with me so what's the harm I thought.

With that I turned around and opened the trunk of the car to stuff all the boxes in.

'Eva, would you like to go to a Lion's game today?' Aiden asked from the other side of the parking lot.

I had just placed the last box in but I froze thinking did I just hear that right? This was an eerie coincidence. I was staring into the darkness of the car's trunk but I managed to get back control of my senses before replying. 'Sorry have a lot of pending work,' I said as I slammed the door shut.

'Is there something that I can help you with?'

He was standing close to Justin facing me. I could see his expressions clearly. I tried to read his face. How could he act so casual like he knows me after all these years? Maybe he was genuinely trying to help and I did not want to be rude so I said, 'Well yes if you call clearing out room after room as help, you are welcome.'