Chapter 18

Sidney

I woke early in the morning, feeling more rested than I had in days after the exhausting night of male wolves roaming my turf. Once my morning chores were done and my breakfast gone I headed in for work at the sanctuary. The moment I climbed from my car I took a good whiff of the scents of the animals, strange how I'd missed it. I got straight to work on the morning feedings since I was the only one here this early, the sanctuary residents were glad to have their breakfast too. Once morning feeding was done I spent my usual time in with Spartan, he seemed more curious of me today than usual. I heard Gavin's car pulling up and caught his scent drawing closer behind me, but I kept my focus on the now wary wolf dog. 

"It's still a bit crazy seeing you sitting in there even though I know you're a wolf now." He sighed out behind me. "Knowing what I am doesn't really change who I am, I'm still the same person Streaks." I sighed out as I slowly stood and exited Spartan's cage to face the boy. "Wrong Crazy girl, you might still be you but something has changed. With you being a wolf we don't have to hide our other halves from you, that's going to take a lot of getting used to. I still don't scent wolf on you though I've seen you shift, not to mention you don't act like an alpha." He muttered out softly as I met his gaze.

 "I hide my scent for safety reasons usually, and how would you know how an alpha really acts. I understand you have captain BS leading you but he's one wolf out of many, not everyone follows the same rules." I scoffed out as he tilted his head at me, his eyes seemed to be puzzling something out as he watched me. "No, I guess they don't." He hummed out as he dropped his gaze from mine. "Hey Streaks, you don't have to go submitting to me you know. I mean sure it pleases the alpha wolf in me but as your friend I don't mind keeping eye contact. The thing is it doesn't bother me as long as you aren't trying to challenge me on purpose, and believe me I can tell the difference." I said softly as his eyes shot back up to mine. 

"So you're not going to kick my butt like you did with Beckett?" He quizzed out. "No promises on that if your wolf gets it in his head he can dominate me, but I will be sure to give you fair warning beforehand." I smirked playfully. "Gee, thanks." He huffed on a pout and I found myself snickering at him, only to have him grinning right back at me. "Whatever Streaks, we've got work to do." I rolled my eyes at his goofiness as I headed to get started on cleaning cages, and he was quick to follow my lead.

                                           Micah

I'd never really been one to mind a day off from work considering I usually made a call to a female friend, but right now the girls in town were the furthest thing from my mind. I'd see them in town when I worked my shift at the bar and I wasn't unknown for working my charm but today I was stuck home with the kid, who was making food that I was apparently forbidden to eat. "Fletch I'm starving here, can't I have one sandwich?" I growled out. What was he planning to do with a mountain of food anyway, he was skinnier than a telephone pole?! "I told you they are not for you!" He whined out in return. "Then who are you making them for?" I huffed as I sat on one of the kitchen stools and stared longingly at the food stacked before me. 

"I was going to take lunch over to everyone at the sanctuary, in short I made them for Sidney." He sighed out, drawing my focus from the food to him. Who needs food than that gorgeous girl was being mentioned? "Then count me in, because I'm going where the food's going." I claimed, oh how I wish that was true in another sense, with that wild mouth of hers. I was going to pay a visit to the girl spinning circles through my mind and if it meant a chance at a meal and her company then I wasn't about to turn it down. "I have no say in his do I?" Fletch grimaced as he sent a look my way. "No, you don't. Now come on pup boy we can't let our gorgeous she wolf friend go hungry." I called as I grabbed the food and headed for the door, Sidney Blake I'm coming for you.

                                                     Gavin

I was glad that the moment with her earlier today and our crazy time the night before hadn't made things weird between Sidney and I, surprisingly she acted the same way she always did. I was just glad to see her back in good health, although knowing she was an alpha left me curious as to what else we couldn't see in her unless she showed us. I was starting to feel like a creeper with how often my eyes were drawn to her while we worked, even now when she was spending her usual time in with Spartan. I let my eyes drift to the road when I heard Fletcher's car pull up, I wasn't exactly thrilled to see who he'd brought with him.

 "Hey Gav, we bring food." Micah called out as he stepped out of the car, instantly his eyes shot in the direction of the girl in the wolf dog cage. "He made me bring him." Fletch whined out as he scowled pitifully at the male who out ranked both of us. I let my eyes trail back to Sidney only to find she hadn't moved from her spot, if I didn't know she was a wolf I'd think she didn't know they were here. "Crazy girl, it's lunch break!" I called to her, her only response was a soft sigh. "I made a lot of different sandwiches because I wasn't sure what you like so I kind of went a little overboard." Fletch murmured softly, and only then did she stand and exit the cage as she turned to all of us.

 "Good to see you again she wolf." Micah purred out at her, I didn't like how easily he flirted with my work companions, but it was especially annoying with Sid. "You do realize I could kick your a** at any moment, right Carrots?" Her tone was unimpressed as Micah gapped back at her, it was hilarious. "You could try." Micah taunted back a moment later, causing her to raise her brows back at him. "Don't tempt me, I get cranky when I'm hungry." She warned back as she stole two sandwiches for herself and settled down on the steps to eat. "Bowen mentioned inviting you over for dinner again tonight, if your interested?" I broke in to stop Micah from trying something, by the determined look on his face I'd made the right choice. 

I fidgeted slightly as she turned her focus back to me, I always seemed to get nervous when she studied me like she was now. "Is he sure that's a good idea right now?" Her question had me shrugging. "Why wouldn't it be?" Micah voiced wearily. "Well most of you did okay meeting on my land but having me on your turf could change things quick if your wolves decide to get defensive." She reasoned out and I nodded my agreement. "Are you scared we're going to hurt you or something?" Fletch whispered out, he looked horrified at the thought. "No Puppet, I'm afraid I might hurt you..." She trailed off as we all stared at her in question.

 "You boys are not the first pack I've tried to work with, so I have an idea what I'm doing. The thing is the packs before you turned on me and it didn't end well, for them. I'm a good fighter and I tend to go on the defensive rather quickly, if any of you attacked me on territory that was not my own it could go bad very quickly." Her statement left chills running through me at the possibilities. "It's worth a try." I breathed out softly as she frowned down at her sandwich. "I'll think about it, but I'm not making any promises." She sighed out, and we agreed. I couldn't tell her that my wolf would rather jump off a cliff into a death cavern than hurt her, that might be a bit strange considering I'd only found out she was a wolf a few days ago.