Chapter 72

Sidney (wolf)

What had I done? I had only wanted to keep the loud Beckett from leaving with the others but my teeth had sunk too deep, his blood on my tongue had made me react rougher than intended. Then I'd tried to kill Simon for defending his friend, I would have ripped him to shreds if not for the brave and gentle pup. I did not deserve their kindness, I did not deserve their friendship, I did not deserve them. I had tried to kill my own pack that trusted and relied on me to keep them safe, I was unworthy of being their alpha. The pain of my heat could not compare to my utter despair of my betrayal to the males, and they'd only wanted to bring me food.

 I sniffed at the bowls but couldn't make myself eat, I was so hungry before but now all I felt was sick over what I'd done to them. I howled and pleaded for a whole new reason now but there was no response and they did not come back, and I couldn't blame them. I was locked away like the beast I was and I deserved to be in here for hurting them like I had, I did not deserve forgiveness for my actions. I sulked as I howled and whimpered through my sorrow of hate and desire, I couldn't fix this now, I'd ruined my chances at a true pack for a second time. Looking at my two pups who were whimpering right along with me, knowing my pain I knew we could not stay here as I closed off my link to the others.

 I could not risk my pups safety if the injured boys decided to retaliate against them to get to me, we had to make an escape from here. I kept up my mournful howls and whimpers as long as I could hoping for forgiveness but getting nothing as I resorted to protecting my original family. There was still one missing the wolf and dog Spartan, I called for him and gave out signal calls for him to get outside. I knew he had heard and understood when a door opened and closed downstairs, followed by whining outside, he was safe away from them for now, I only needed to free the three of us locked in here now. 

The door was locked and guarded so the only real option for escape was the closed window, I would need to be in my other form to get everyone out safely. The males did not expect me to go running they only knew of my desire to chase them, and with my link closed to them now they would not catch my intentions of escape. With my heat scent so strong they would notice I was gone quicker than I liked but I only needed to give myself enough time to escape and slip away from here. I could easily outsmart and outrun them if and when they gave chase, but if it came down to defending my three pups from these males I would fight with everything I had. 

Slowly I started to rub my scent over everything in the room that I could, making it as strong as possible in this room so that they would not notice me sneaking off right away. Once I deemed my scent strong enough to hide my actions I shifted to my other form, keeping up my whimpers and cries of the wolf to hide my actions. I silently opened the window and called Tyson and Ollie to me with a glance, they obeyed instantly. I carried each one out the window, lowering them down to the snow covered dirt with a sling I'd made of the torn bed sheets. 

Once they were both safe outside I shifted back to my four legs inside the room, running my scent over everything one more time as I let out one long final howl before letting my whimpers fall to silence. With a last glance to the door I silently jumped out before leaping down to the snow where all three of my pups were waiting. Spartan wisely kept his distance from my tail after his last reprimand and with a silent command for them to follow, we were off. I led the way, slinking off through the trees as fast as possible away from the pack of males behind us, knowing there would be no more looking back.