Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Damien Gray

“It didn’t go well, did it?” Sebastian asked as soon as I stepped into the apartment.

“I left her.”

“You don’t look happy about that,” he told me.

He had been in the living room, reading an old book that was practically falling apart.

“It’s for the best,” I shrugged and began making my way to the couch next to him.

A small bark got my attention and I noticed Luke running towards me. I was surprised he hadn’t been with Sebastian before I got there.

“He already dumped the trash can on the floor three times,” Sebastian said, looking at the pup disapprovingly.

I grinned when pup came up to me and put his two front paws up on my shoes. It was as high as he could reach and he looked funny trying to climb up my leg.

“He’s still getting used to things,” I told Seb.

I grabbed the husky from the ground and took him to the couch with me.

“So, what was the excuse?” Sebastian asked while I scratched Luke’s head. He had been playing with a toy bone that Sebastian bought for him.

His tags kept dangling and making bell noises whenever he moved too much.

“They need a strong Alpha male. Emilia’s strong, but she’s a girl,” I began explaining.

Sebastian looked at me expectantly and waited for me to continue.

“Apparently, anyone can challenge me for the position if I become Alpha and Luke’s got his sights on the title. Emilia’s dad said that Rogues are crossing over because they’re waiting for Emilia and me to take over the pack. Since they think I’m a human, I’m no threat.”

I tried to sound casual, but the harsh tone behind my voice didn’t go unnoticed by Sebastian.

“But you’re stronger than all of them,” he said, with a frown on his face.

“They don’t know that,” I reminded him.

“Oh right,” he said, tapping his head with the book. “Are you going to tell them about us?”

I was looking at Luke, as he continued to play with the bone. I didn’t want to look at Sebastian because I could already feel him staring at me intently.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

When I did look up to meet Sebastian’s gaze, I noticed his raised eyebrow. He wasn’t saying anything, but I knew he wanted to.

“It doesn’t feel real, not anymore. Yeah there’s that bond between us, but I’m just there for the Alpha and Emilia’s convenience.”

“No you’re not.”

I narrowed my eyes at him, not liking that he wasn’t with me on this one.

“How am I not?”

“It’s easy. Luke has his eyes set on this Alpha title, right? I didn’t know that they could challenge you for the position. Thanks for finding that out,” Sebastian told me, clapping my back.