Chapter one

"It's lovely Pearly, thank you." Peter commented, continuing to sip on the revolting broccoli soup. He tried his best to stop his face from scrunching up in disgust, but failed miserably."I knew you hated it!" Pearl complained throwing a piece of bread and a jam jar to his side of the table. "If I can't even cook soup, how am I going to cope cooking dishes for some lord?!"

Pearl Brown- Smith was almost seventeen, and was soon going to be placed as a slave some where posh. She didn't yet know where she was going to go, nor what position she would be placed; but she could not cook to save her life, she couldn't clean even the tidiest of homes and was absoloutely terrible with balancing plates on her arms. 

The only good thing she could was care for children, which was a very unlikely job to recieve.

Peter had told her not to worry, as he was sure she would be fine. Pearl could tell that he was lying, and felt disapointed in her self. How would she provide for them? Peter could barely make enough to live, and she wanted to help desperately.

"Go get some sleep Pearly" he said to her. "We'll be alright"

***********************************************************************************************

When Peter came back from work in the fields an evening later that week, he came home to find Pearl sat down emotionless. "Everything all right Pearl?". She threw down a piece of paper onto their old wooden table. "They want me to start in two days. At the castle." Peters face instantly paled. Pearl gulped. They both knew that she wouldn't live more than a week.

Pearl clipped back a piece of her black hair into her bun, and straightened out her army green dress. Everyone knew that the vampire king was the worst of the lot, but the werewolf Alpha king was almost as bad. They lived in the Werewolf realm, and knew that the king was ruthless, and only cared for his wolf subjects. The humans were nothing more than pawns.

"I have to go early because There is to be a meeting between the royal creatures... I shouldn't have to see them though, they need me for help in the kitchen." Pearl wasn't as scared as she should have been. She had always known she would die, but at the hands of a royal? That would put shame on her poor brother Peter. At least her parents wouldn't ever know. 

"Pearl" came a cracked voice. "Just be safe. And don't let them ever tell you that your worthless."

That night, Pearl had a dream. A man, who she didn't know, stood as a silhoutte, towering in front of her. The man gasped and looked down at Pearl... some how she could tell that he was smiling, even if she couldn't make out the details of his face. The man pulled Pearls tiny body into a crushing hug, him over a foot taller than her. Pearl would have pushed a strange man off her, but in the dream it didn't feel as if she had to. "We'll meet soon, my little flower" he whispered, as he drifted away into nothing but a mist.

***********************************************************************************************

Pearl tried her best to look presentable before she was taken to the castle. She wore a short light blue dress with a black belt. A black collar bow was wrapped around her neck and little black buttons lined up and down her torso. She decided to leave her long black hair down, trailing to her waist. 

"Their here" Peter whispered as he help Pearl tight in a hug. Pearl felt the most alone she had ever felt... eventually she would be allowed to come home and visit her dear brother Peter: but she wasn't sure she would last that long.

A tall man walked into their home and grabbed Pearl by her arm, dragging her out of her home. Tears made their escape from her baby blue eyes... she hadn't felt this much fear since she was three years old.

FLASHBACK

Pearl was taken into the arms of an unknown man. She was blissfully ignornat, with no idea to what was going on. Her eight year old btrother fought with the large man, but was nothing compared to his strength. 

The two children watched their parents cry, ma screaming for them to bring her babies back. The fragile women tried her best to fight her way to her children, getting closer with each leap she took. But the men were blocking her way. The last thing Pearl ever remembered of her mother was her hand stroking her cheek through the crowd. "Be strong baby"

END OF FLASHBACK

Pearl was dragged into the back of a van, which contained serveral other women and two young men. Shes thrown to the floor with out a second glance, clutching her brown back pack close to her.Pearl looked around to see all the other people sat by themselves, none of them talikng to each other. Everything was silent, until Pearl heard the quietest sniffle. She wiped her head around to see a little girl huddled up in the corner, no bag, only holding on tight to a teddy bear as if it was her only hope.

The little girl could have only been eight, at the oldest, and had the lightest blonde hair Pearl had ever seen. It broke Pearls heart to see the sight. How could they take away a little to the castle? It was unspeakable! 

"Hey there" Pearl whispered lightly, careful as to not to scare her. "I like your teddy bear. Does he have a name?" The little girl nodded, shuffling over closer to her body. "Teddy" she whispered, hugging it close. "That's a lovely name. Do you have one?" 

Pearl found out a lot of things on that long journey. The little girls name was Petal, and she ended up being only five! The little girl explained that she was taken away to become a kitchen assistant, and to begin learning how to cook, so that she could one day be a head chef.

This disgusted Pearl. Why couldn't this sweet and innocent little girl learn to cook at home with her mother? But that was one of the many things that would always make the creatures of the night evil; they had no feelings. Pearl made a promise that day to always try her best to look out for her Petal; 

But first she would need to stay alive.

Words: 1093

Hello reader!

Thank you so much for deciding to start reading my book. This is my first story on Wattpad, and isn't edited, so read at your own risk!

Question of the day: Who do you think the man in her dream was? And what creature do you think he was?

Love you all!!!! If you copy my book;

I WILL FIND YOU!

Mia

ADD. VOTE. COMMENT.