Chapter three

Pearls face instantly lost all of its colour from her already pale face. She couldn't have been the person that this were wolf was supposed to love! She was an awkward and simple girl with no true meaning in her life. This had to be joke, didn't it? Her real punishment was surely about to present it self. 

After the Royal beta said nothing for a full minute, her breathes slowly got shallower and sped up in pace. Nobody of his importance could make a joke like this, could they? "I know that this is a lot to take in..." Beta Jackson said, taking a small step closer to her. In return, Pearl took a frightened leap back. The hurt on the Royal betas' face suggested that he would surely become mad at her actions...

But he didn't. He just let out a frustrated huff and ran a hand through his long brown hair. "I probably could have done this a bit better" he muttered under his breath, more for him to hear than her. The sorrow on his face made Pearls' heart clench, even if she had no right to feel sorry for a werewolf. "I'm sorry" she whispered. It was unfair of him to have been given a weak and fragile mate.

The look of shock on the Betas face made her shiver. Had she done something wrong again? He started to stalk towards her, making Pearl back up until her body hit the wall. Beta Jackson stopped right in front of her, placing two strong arms either side of her neck. The main he must have been in fro having to crouch down so low...

His breath was warm against her skin, sending tingles down her neck. As much as Pearl wanted to come across as brave, she couldn't stop her self from shivering with fear. "Look at me." he whispered, staring directly at her with big brown eyes. Pearl refused to look up this time though, taking deep breathes as she stared at her little black shoes. "Look at me , Pearl." he said more firmly the next time, demanding her to do as he said. And this time she couldn't deny an order.

She looked up and gasped. The Royal betas' eyes had gone yellow around the edge, fighting its way to gain the full colour of the eyes. He sighed angrily and nuzzeled his face into Pearls neck. She couldn't help but think ' What the flip is this guy doing?'. The beta continued to snuggle into her neck until his breathing had calmed down.

Looking deep into her startling blue eyes, he sighed. His hand came up to her face, and Pearl couldn't stop her self from flinching. Was he going to hit her? But no. He just slowly caressed he check slowly, never looking away from  his eyes. His touch felt warm on Pearls skin... loving.

"You never have to be sorry for anything, Pearl. Ever" he whispered into her ear, sending electric shock waves down the side of her neck, and onto her spine. "Do you understand?" he asked, no emotion to be shown on her face. She nodded lightly, this time daring to not look away from his eyes. They seemed to draw her in... she didn't want to look away. He smiled lovingly at her.. it was clear to see that he didn't want to let her go. But he did.

They both stood up straight, him taking two steps backwards. "We''ll keep this a secret until your more comfortable around me. And of course until your ready to take up your position" What position was that? Pearl hadn't realised that she would have to do anything major. She wanted badly to ask, but didn't want to over step the line.

"I can tell you have something on your mind, Pearl. Don't be afraid to ask." he said, smirking lightly at the little creature that stood before him. She looked up at him and stuttered out her question.

"W-what p-posti-on will I be t-taking, sir?" He sighed. He had clearly forgot how uneducated she was about their kind. Pearl was nervous, as she couldn't tell weather he was angry at her for asking the question or not. She just stood there awkwardly, tense until she would see his reaction. Why did this have to happen to her? Of all people!

But the Royal beta didn't seem stumped by her question. He just slowly walked around his desk, and casually sat down. Taking a sip of his coffee (Well... she presumed it was coffee..), he rested his legs onto his dark oak desk."Well" he started, looking down at his laptop screen, scrolling through something that was unknown to Pearl. "As I am the Royal beta, you will instantly become the female Royal beta, as my mate."

 Pearl still didn't quite understand, but nodded her head. So... this is what she had learned; She was the mate to a very important werewolf, he supposedly would love her, she wasn't allowed to be sorry for anything (EVER) and was going to be some kind of beta. Even though she was human... how could she have such an important role even if she wasn't a werewolf?

"You are dismissed". The second the words left his mouth, she was straight out of the office door. She didn't exactly have a clue to where she was going, but decided to walk in the direction that she had come from. Seemed like a good way to go.

As she was walking, she recognised a human girl carrying a pile of bed sheets. "Um, excuse me? Do you know where the kitchen staff quarters are?" The girl smiled and said to follow her. She seemed a really lovely girl. She had strawberry blonde hair that went down to her shoulder is light curls, and a pair of the most startling green eyes Pearl had ever seen.

As they approached the sleeping quarters, the girl shot one of her hands out."I'm Layla by the way" The girl had one of those grins that made you just want to be her friend. She wasn't only beautiful, but she was also really kind and looked like she could be a lit of fun. "Pearl." She replied, glad to have made a good friend.

Maybe she wasn't doomed after all.

Words:  1046

Hiya! It's Mia! I'm not getting many reads, so thank you if you are still here. I would love it if you guys commented, it would be really appreciated.#

Question of the day: What do you think will happen the next time the Beta and Pearl meet?

Yet again, thanks a lot for sticking around!

Mia.

ADD. VOTE. COMMENT.