Chapter 2

[ Alyys ]

When I wake up I realize Justin isn't beside me anymore. I look over and see that his bag is also gone. My mind starts to make up all kinds of reasons why he's gone. I throw my blanket to the side and stand up. Where the hell did I leave my phone? I search the entire room, finding it under my pillow.

I try to call Justin, but I go straight to voicemail. "What the hell is this Justin.."
When I walk past the couch, I hear his phone go off. Seriously? He left his phone home? My phone goes to voicemail again. Out of frustration, I throw mine on the couch as well. He is probably just to work and forgot his phone.

I sigh and make some breakfast for myself. I notice there's no used plate or coffee mug. He must have left in a hurry then, and grabbed some food in the way to work. It has been a while since I've been at his work, so I made a great idea to bring him his phone and just check upon him.

Just when I want to change into my outfit, Justin's phone gets called. I pick it up and see it is Caleb, one of his best friends. I put him on speaker as I walk through the house.

"Justin?"

"No this is Alyys. Hey Caleb."
There is a short pause before he answers.

"Hey, Alyys, have you seen Justin? He didn't come to work today."
I frown and pick out some clothes.

"Nope, I woke up and he was gone. He also forgot his phone, which I found odd."
Caleb doesn't really seem that interested in Justin leaving his phone at home.

He drops the topic about Justin and we talk for a bit. Apparently, Justin doesn't go to work every day? That was new to me.

"You don't think he is seeing someone, right?"
"Can't promise anything, sorry Aly. But you know about his past and all that stuff."

Caleb has a point. Justin isn't the most well-behaved person in the world."
"Yes, yes. I know, but he promised me that he wouldn't do anything like that.."

He was always a troubled kid, from what I've heard. Caleb told me some stories, even though Justin wouldn't want to talk about it with me. Caleb said some stuff about his parents fighting a lot when he was younger, not really caring about him.

"It has broken his heart. He was always one of the most nice and loving people I've known. He just changed." I think back at the conversation Caleb and I had when Justin was laying on the couch, passed out from all the alcohol.

"He just ran away and started partying. He didn't care about the hangovers, he just wanted to get wasted and forget everything. All the girls loved him of course and would do everything to get a 'seven minutes in heaven' moment with him. He didn't do relationships, only one night stands."

"He just slept at my house or stayed all night at the party. but I wasn't just partying and drinking too much. Even when he had a girlfriend, he couldn't hell himself but still kiss other girls at the party. Not that they would notice, because he brought them with him and they would also get drunk. He just isn't the guy for you, Alyys. Just, watch out, ok?"

It still makes me sad to think about all the stuff Justin went through. I can't believe that he used to be this sweet and caring person. Of course, I still think he is. But deep down I know he isn't the perfect boyfriend. I know that. But I still love him.

And just like Caleb told me, I watch out for signs. Surely I have caught him a few times coming home drunk, but he promises me that he would never ever do something like that again. I know I sound ridiculous but I believe him, I really do. I stare out of the window and sigh, realizing that I am still on the phone with Caleb.

"Well, I was planning on coming to his work and bringing his phone, but that isn't very helpful."
"You can always come by, I don't have anything to do and we can just talk and catch up, right?"
I laugh and shake my head.

"I guess we can, but I would rather wait here until Justin is back home and ask for an explanation. Sorry, Caleb."
"No it's fine, I get it."
I can hear the disappointment in his voice.
"But thanks for calling! It was nice talking again, we should do that more often."

Caleb is a nice guy. He's always there for me when Justin isn't. That's why our calls mostly exist out of long, late-night calls when Justin is gone partying again. He seems to understand me, which is nice. I can always count on him, and he on me of course.

"Yeah, no problem. Got to go back to work again, bye!"
I tell him goodbye and hang up. I think about the stuff he said. Why wouldn't Justin go to work? He always tells me he loves his job. I stand up and lay his phone on the table. When he comes home I want an answer to this. Is he partying again? Drinking? Or is he really seeing someone else?

I really need to stop thinking about that. He loves me and I love him, that's it. I know he has done some stuff in the past, but he has changed. I helped him stop partying excessively and he promised me that he would never cheat on me. He has always kept that promise.

But now for some reason, my head keeps making this up. I hate it. I know I can trust him. Just for background noises, I put on the tv. I leave it on some random cooking channel. Most of the time I hate watching tv, but I need some distractions.

The sounds of the tv mixed with the sounds of soft rain against the windows makes me tired even though I just woke up. I grab a blanket and lay down, still staring at the tv. Stay awake Aly, you can't be asleep when Justin gets home.

I desperately try to stay awake but I feel my eyes getting heavier and heavier. I mean, a few minutes of sleep wouldn't hurt, right? He probably won't be home that fast, that's impossible. I close my eyes. It has started to rain harder and so has the ticking sound on the window. I feel myself slipping into a deep sleep.

I wake up to the sound of the door closing and something hitting the wall. I look over to the window and the sky is dark. Is it night yet? Did I sleep for that long? I hear some cuss words and directly know it is Justin. His footsteps sound unsteady and I can hear him still mumbling some stuff. Slowly I stand up and look at the hallway. The footsteps stop in the doorway, staring to the ground.

"Justin?"
He looks up shortly. He tries to maintain his balance and walk past me into the bedroom. I grab his hand and stop him.

"Talk to me. Where were you?"
He mumbles something about picking up some stuff for work. I take a step closer and I can smell the alcohol on his clothes.
"You are drunk, aren't you?"

I let him go, which he didn't count on. He quickly grabs the wall and tries to find his balance again. He isn't just drunk, he probably won't remember this in the morning.

"I, I can't do this right now. Go to bed, please."
He nods his head and walks to the bedroom. I feel tears stinging behind my eyes. Don't cry Aly, he doesn't deserve that. I rub through my eyes and get on to the couch again. I can't sleep in the same bed right now. I grab the blanket and lay down again.

I guess this will be my bed for the night. I'll try to speak to him tomorrow if he remembers this. I close my eyes again and try not to think about tomorrow. I listen to the rain again and almost immediately fall a sleep again.