Chapter 9

[ Alyys ]

Some people in the classroom behind me yell when the bell rings for the last time this semester. A few boys in my class start to clap and we all get out of the room as fast as we can. Maddie grabs my hand en pulls me to the stairs which are full of other students.

"Just in time!"
Event last day before the summer break we all get our old papers and throw them down the stairs. Maddie and I have always participated and it is just so much fun! You don't have to clean them up and it saves so much room in your bag.

We get to the edge and quickly grab our papers. We are just in time because the count down has already started. When we hit zero, more than a hundred papers fly into the air and swirl slowly onto the ground. We laugh and make our way downstairs, which takes so much more time than usual.

"So, tell me about all the stuff that happened when you left the party!"
Slowly but surely we get down. I start to giggle a bit and I feel the blood rising to my cheeks.
"Nothing happened! I slept at his place and had some breakfast and a shower."

"A shower? Together?!" I look to my right and I see that Maddie has a big grin on her face. I laugh and poke her in her side.
"You are crazy! Of course not, I only have showers with Justin silly."

"Yeah, showers..." Maddie points my chest. A little red mark still hasn't faded away, just above my collar bone. Maybe I shouldn't have worn that low cut shirt today. Oh well, it isn't really a secret that Justin and I are still a couple, even after he dropped out.

"Shut up Maddie, I don't need people to stare at it!"
We finally get down and grab our jackets. When we are finally outside I stare at the sign that says 'St. Rose College'.

I smile. This has always been my dream college to go to, especially since my mom has also been here. I stare at the iconic red rose bushes that let you know where the campus starts. Some people hate them, others love them.

The bus rides away just before our eyes.
"We missed it again! Stupid school!"
"Come on Maddie, we don't have to wait that long for the next bus."

We sit down on a bench and watch the people walking off-campus. A group of boys ride by and wave at us. Probably some friends of Maddie, or just boys she fucked. She waves back and smiles at them. Boys she fucked I guess.

It stays silent for a while. Maddie turns her head at me. "You know Caleb likes you, don't you?"

I start to laugh and shake my head.
"You are insane. He doesn't like me, he's best friends which Justin, that's why he helped me."

"Yeah right.. He likes you, that's obvious! He is always by your side at parties and will always help you, no matter what!"

Ok, maybe she's right. About the staying by my side stuff, not the love stuff. He is really nice to me and I notice some times that he wants to sit next behind me. He walks gets me drinks and helps me when I need it.

But she can't be right, can she? I don't think he likes me. I don't want him to like me. My relationship with Justin is sometimes hard enough, I don't want to deal with Caleb and his emotions at the same time.

I sigh and look at the roses. Justin brought me roses once, when we had our six months anniversary. I say I didn't want anything, but he brought them home and made me a meal. He can be sweet, sometimes.

"Stop it, he doesn't like me. And so what? I have Justin."
"Yeah, but we both know that Justin secretly toxic is."

"Maddie! You are kidding, right?"
She shakes her head. This is the perfect moment for the bus to come around the corner. I stand up and grab my bag. "Let's just go, I want to go home."

I stare outside the window. I'm glad the sun shines again. Maddie has rested her head against mine and I think she fell asleep. I feel my eyes wanting to close too, but I have to leave the bus at the next stop.

No time for sleep right now. Maybe I can take a nap when I'm home. I mean it is summer break, so I can do whatever I want now. Maybe I'm going to some parties with Justin, I don't know yet.

I wake Maddie up when the bus stops. "I have to go, bye!"
She gives me a quick hug and we agree on going out again soon.

I grab my bus and get out. I smile as I walk toward our home. I was so happy when Justin told me he rented a home, just for us. My parents didn't really like it, but they told me I could go if I wanted to.

One of the best decisions I have ever made. When I have a job this summer I can help pay the bills, at least that's what I want. Justin wants me to focus on my studies, but I want to help him pay.

"I'm home!"
I throw my bag on the ground when Justin lifts me up and spins me around. I laugh and look at him.

"You are crazy, what are you doing?" I get a kiss on my lips and cheeks. I have never seen him so happy. Did something happen?
"Guess who just got a promotion and gets a lot more money, so you don't have to work?" He smiles at me as I hug him again.

"Really? Justin that's amazing! I'm so proud of you" I smile back and give him another kiss.
"The boss says the costumers think I'm really helpful and nice. Haven't heard that in a long time!"

We laugh as he lets me go. I pinch him in the waist and walk to the kitchen.

"I already made you some tea," I grab the mug. "That was the last thing I could do for you."

"Thank you, that's sweet." I smile at him.
I don't understand why Maddie would say he's a toxic person. Look at him! He's so cute when he smiles, you just can't ignore that.

I take a seat at the counter. Justin goes stand between my legs and places at either side of me. I quickly take a sip to hide my smile and soft blush. When we stand like this, most of the time we end up in another room.

"We need to celebrate this. What about, eating dinner in the city and then going out?"
Going out? Again?

"I don't know Justin, what if I get sick again?"
"That won't happen, babe. I'm with you and I will keep an eye on you."

I sigh and put my mug away.
"Let's go for dinner, come back and then I will see if I'm still in the mood for a party."
"Deal! Now go and put on something more suitable for dinner."

I shake my head and give him another kiss. "You are weird." I hear him laugh when I walk towards the bedroom. "But you still love me!"
I open the closet and look at all my clothes.

I don't own that many dresses, to be honest. I always prefer jeans over dresses. But for one night it's ok. I grab one of the black dresses and look in the mirror. That would be nice, or maybe the red one?
"Let's do the red one," I mumble to myself.

I stare into the mirror. This isn't the red dress I remember. It is tight, everywhere. I don't think I'm confident enough to wear this in public. I grab another dress and hold it next to me. Why did I buy a gold dress? I guess it had to do something with Maddie. This is a typical Maddie dress.

Fine, I will wear this red dress. Only because I don't have a choice. I put in some nice earrings and a necklace to match. I never do this but I want to make Justin happy, and I know he likes it when I dress up for dinner.

Apparently, Justin has changed either in the bathroom or just in the living room, because when I walk back he is wearing a nice blouse and some new black pants. I start to smile when he turns to me.

"Hey, handsome."
I start to blush when I notice that Justin is staring at me. I guess I made a statement.
"Holy crap... Hey, beautiful."