Chapter 4

[ Alyys ]

I close the door behind me and put on my jacket. The sun is setting and the city is covered in a beautiful, orange and yellow light. Pink clouds are drifting above me, making their way towards the beach. I can feel myself smile as I look up to the sky. I always love these days where the air looks like a painting. I stand still for a moment and enjoy the view. A group of boys pass me, looking a bit tipsy if you ask me. I laugh softly to myself and walk further.

When I get to the beach, the sun has almost set. A soft yellow light stretchers over the sand. I take off my shoes and look around if I can find Maddie. She is one of the best people wandering this earth. We are friends finds kindergarten and she has never left my side. Unless we are at a party and she sees a hot guy, then she will abandon me. But that's ok.

I smile when I see her wave at me.
"Aly! I thought you would never come!"
I laugh and give her a hug. It's kind of a tradition; when we hang out, I'm always late.

"Of course I would come, how can I miss this pretty sunset with my best friend?"
She opens a bag she took with her. I get a red cup pushed into my hand and a second after I see her get a bottle out. This is going to be bad.

"Maddie no, I'm not going to drink. Are you insane?"
We start to laugh again and I see she brought a bottle of cherry vodka and some coke. Oh my gosh, she really wants to fuck me up I guess.

"Oh, you are so boring. This needs to be empty when we go home!"
"You are insane!"
I know I can't stop her because she already filled my cup. And knowing Maddie, I know this will be half a cup of vodka and a little bit of coke, not otherwise.

"You know we can't finish this, right? I can't imagine the hangover."
I stare into my cup, regretting this discussion.

"Well, then we will have to share with some people. I heard some people are having a big party, it's close so we can go there. Or you just sleep at my place and we can suffer together tomorrow."

One thing I love about being with Maddie; it never gets boring. She's one of the happiest and badass girls I know. If she doesn't like it, she will say it. Just like this. We just wanted to talk, and now we probably are going to a party. I'm glad she's still my best friend. I wouldn't know what to do without her.

Maddie also filled her cup and raises it. I do the same.
"To us, this night, and hopefully finding a hot boy!"

I laugh and take a sip. Damn, this is strong. I put on some music and watch the waves collide into the shore. The sounds make me feel relaxed. We don't need to talk to have a good time. Just being in the same place is enough. I can hear Maddie filling her cup again. She really is going for it, crazy girl.
"You really want to be fucked up tomorrow, I hear?"

"Oh come on Aly, have some fun! I never see you at party's, so let's go to one tonight."
I take another sip and I look at my cup.
"I mean, I want to. But Justin is at home and we had a little bit of a fight.."

"Another reason why you should party tonight and not go home. He's always partying from what I understand. Now it's your time."
She has a point. It has been ages since I have been to a proper party. And family reunions don't count.

"Ok, deal. We go to the party, but only if I don't have to drink half of that bottle!"
She laughs and nods her head.
"Deal, but you have to drink some more to enjoy it, Aly."

I guess you can say we did try our best to drink the whole bottle. We are laying beside each other in the sand, staring at the stars. Now and then we start to giggle, which ends in laughter. I let my empty cup rest on my stomach.

"I feel kinda sick.. maybe we drank too much?"
I look to my right and shake my head.
"We have just enough to enjoy the party, just like you said."
We start to giggle again.

"You're not going to throw up, right? Because then I will throw up too."
Maddie shakes her head and goes sit up straight. I want to do the same, but I fall over almost immediately.

"Holy crap." Maddie grabs my hand and helps me get up.
"This is already so hard, how are we going to stand up?"
The second after I say that, she stands up. Told you, she's a badass.

"To be honest I feel great! Want to go skinny dip?"
I grab her arm and try to stand up. My legs feel like jelly and my head starts to hurt.

"You're insane, that's just the alcohol talking. And I'm not going to skinny dip! Did you see how many people are out here?"
She lays her arm around my shoulders to keep me from falling over again. She starts to giggle and looks around.

"Who cares, I think almost every guy here has seen the female body, right?"
Slowly I take a few steps towards the road, taking Maddie with me. I vaguely remember something about a party nearby.

I look at the houses to see if it's in this neighborhood. All the lights are turned off, I guess everybody is asleep. Which makes sense. It has been past midnight at this point.

"Do you remember where that party is?"
"Oh it's not that far, it's in that new luxurious neighborhood you know? One of the guys that lives there is so good-looking,"

I press my finger to her lips. "Sh. I don't want to hear about it. Let's just go."
We start to laugh and walk towards the house. A group of boys tries to get us to their party, but Maddie quickly gives them the finger and ignores them.

We stare at the enormous house before us. Holy crap, I guess their parents have some pretty good jobs. Maddie opens the door and a wave of loud music and the smell of alcohol hits me in the face. My headache only gets worse and the smell makes me kind of nauseous. I can't tell her, because I have already been pulled into the house. I don't see faces that I know, so this is going to be great. Another night spend alone at a party.

I get another red cup pushed into my hands and we go sit on the couch. A few friends from Maddie are also here so we decided that we join them. I take a small sip and shiver. I hate the taste of straight-up alcohol. My throat starts to burn. I would love to have just some water right now, but I don't want to ruin this party.

I listen to the conversations and stare off into nothing. I get shocked when I look up, feeling an arm wrapped around me. I feel his he's coming closer and talking just hard enough for me to hear it. I freeze.
"You don't seem like you're having a great time."

I turn my head around and see Caleb sitting next to me. My consciousness has completely shut down the more I drank, so my body can do whatever it wants. I place my head against his shoulder and shake my head.

"Maddie made me do, this, drinking." I close my eyes and enjoy the moment of having a personal pillow. My head feels heavy and I really want to sleep at this point. I don't think drinking is something for me.

"Do I need to get you home? Is Justin here?"
I shake my head. I start to giggle and take another sip from my cup. Suddenly I feel my stomach revolt and I freeze. Please, I don't want to puke right now.

"Caleb.."
He clearly understands what's going on and he helps me get up, trough the crowd towards the bathroom.