Chapter 20

[ Caleb ]

It has been weeks since Alyys came around. My wound has finally healed and I take my first walk out of the house in a long time. All that bed rest can't be good for a human being. I put my hands in the pockets of my jacket and look around me. It's busy in the city today.

The stores just opened up and it's already crowded. I sit down at a bench when I feel a sting in my stomach. Over a few days the final stitches will be removed, so please don't break right now. I try not to look weird and check it. Everything seems fine.

I sit down for a few more minutes, just to enjoy the sound of people walking by and having conversations. This has always been a kind of a hobby of mine. Just sitting down, listening to people making there way downtown. You never know where that person is going.

It could be a mom, on her way to pick up the kids from school. It could be a businessman, who just signed their first big deal with a company. All these people are here for diffident reasons, going to different places.

I don't really know why I enjoy doing that, I just do. I can sit here for hours, just listening and looking around. Sometimes I'll have a conversation with the person that has decided to sit down next to me. Quite interesting.

Sometimes you get a weird look from the person, other times you get the story's about their lives or what's going on. Some people look relieved when they told me what's going on. Sometimes you just need to talk about it, let it all out. Some even shed a tear.

People are walking past me, going to there unknown destinations. Some people stand out. A girl with neon pink hair, a boy holding his skateboard under his arm. Some people you normally won't even see, but they are there.

A boy holding hands with his boyfriend, proud that he can be who he wants to be. A girl dressing in what people consider boy clothes, just because she feels better in it. Or just people who we think are normal. A mother holding her son's hand, a man of age helping his wife across the street. You may not see them, but they are there.

One person stands out of the crowd. Walking fast, holding a phone in his hand. Wearing a leather jacket, one that I'll recognize wherever I am. The memories of the talk with Alyys come back up. An angry feeling starts to brew inside me, getting worse with the second.

Everything she told me, I remember now. The words she spoke that broke her heart, 'I think he's cheating on me'. It broke her to say that, to even think that.

I stand up and make my way through the crowd. I don't even notice that I eventually am pushing aside, not even apologizing for my behavior. I grab his jacket and turn him around, looking into his eyes. He quickly locks his phone and looks over at me.
"Caleb, what the fuck?"
I glance at his phone, seeing a name before the screen turns black.

"Who the fuck where you texting? One of your side chicks, huh?"
People start to look at us. Some even stop and stare at us. Normally I would get ashamed and stop myself from behaving like this, but not now. This jerk needs to get his ass kicked.

"Dude chill, you're making a scene." Justin laughs uncomfortably. He grabs my hand, holding it in such a position that a sting goes through my hand. I let go and look up, seeing him grin.

"It's none of your business who I am texting. Or what I send them."
"I guess Alyys isn't going to like that answer."
He looks at me and I can see a flash of confusion in his eyes. He clears his throat and takes a step forward.

"You're talking to my girlfriend again?"
I shake my head. "She came to me, almost crying. Because of you."
Justin frowns and puts away his phone.
"Oh yeah? Why so?"

I press my jaw together. I don't want to say it. But I need to. He needs to know what Alyys thinks of him, even if this will end in another fight. My hands turn themselves into fists.
Justin grabs my shirt and pulls me closer, mumbling.

"Tell me what the fuck Alyys told you. Now."
I laugh and stare into his eyes. Does he really think he can intimidate me? Sure, he can with all the little boys at the park or in the bar, but not with me. I know his tricks.

"She thinks you are cheating on her. And by the looks of it, it's true."
I raise my voice just a little, so everyone can hear it. A few people stop and stare at us. A group of boys starts to laugh and shout at us.

Justin starts to laugh. A nervous laugh, looking around him. He shakes his head and lets go of me.
"Don't try me again, boy. I can put you into the hospital real quick."

My nails push into the palms of my head, but all the adrenaline and angry push away the pain. I want to punch him so bad. I'll probably end up on the ground though. I hate to admit it, but Justin is stronger than me. He has always been.

People around us start to get nervous. They don't just look anymore, they stare. They stare and stand still, waiting who will punch first. I get ready to throw the first punch, to make him feel what he deserves. Even though I might not be the strongest person, I know he's hurt by Alyys her words. I take a step forward and Justin starts to laugh.
"You really want to fight?"

My mind goes blank. Every thought disappears, leaving only my growing hate for him inside me. I raise my fist. There's no doubt inside me anymore. I don't remember much from my dad teaching me some self-defense.

Only that there is a pressure point in your jaw. But that correctly, and he will pass out. I glance over Justin his face, looking where it could be. I don't want to kill him. Don't get me wrong. Just a hit is enough to teach him a lesson.

I raise my fist. Justin is too late to protect himself. I hit him. Not at the perfect spot, but it's enough to get him on the ground. Justin's eyes roll back for a second, stumbling down to the ground. Before I know it I'm down at the ground too, my fist against his face again.

A little stream of blood comes down out his nose. His jaw starts to swell and his arms have some scratches on it from falling down. He rolls over to his side, trying to get me off while whimpering out of pain.

The group of boys that were watching us run toward us. They start to scream at me. Two boys grab my arms and try to drag me off Justin. But I'm not finished with him yet. I try to push them away. The adrenaline is making me think I can do anything.

But unfortunately, I can't. The boys get me off and pull me up. The start to scream into my face, asking me 'what the fuck I took'. I took nothing. This was all, me. All of me was mad at him. So mad.

The other boys help Justin get up, making sure he's ok. I clench my teeth, breathing heavily. They sit me down at the bench, trying to calm me down. They keep asking me if I'm on something and why I did that. My hands are shaking out of fear and adrenaline.

My thoughts start to come back. It's reminding me what and why I did it. I feel the anger coming up again, but I push it away. I don't want to do this again. I look at my hands. My knuckles are a bit bruised, scratched maybe. Nothing serious at least.

Eventually, I calm down. The two boys stayed with me while the other brought Justin to a doctor, checking if everything is alright with his jaw. I've talked a bit with the boys. They are nice. I told them everything. I guess I needed to just let it out. The understood my anger, and why I did what I did.

But I have to agree with them, it's not the best way. I thank them for helping me and I stand up. I need to go home. I need a drink. I say goodbye and make my way back home.

I stare down at the street. I have this feeling that everyone around me knows what I did. And to be honest, I feel kind of ashamed. This isn't like me. I don't hit people. I certainly don't hit people that hard that they almost pass out. As quickly as I can I make my way back home.

I grab my keys and try to open the lock on my door. My hands are still shaking, so it takes me some time to get the key into the lock. I open the door and walk inside, almost slamming the door.

I open a kitchen cabinet and grab a glass. Out of the cabinet full of bottles, I grab one of the unopened bottles of whiskey. I pour myself a bigger glass then I would usually do. I need this right now. I sit down at the couch and take a big sip. Let's just forget this. Everything.