Chapter 14

[ Justin ]

I stare at the collapsed person in front of me. Caleb is holding hubs hands to his stomach, screaming and groaning of pain. I look from him at my empty hands. I did it. I really did it. I would never think that I would be able to ever do that, but I did it. I just stabbed my best friend with a screwdriver, and I have never felt this emotionless.

"Don't pull it out."
"What? Are you kidding me?! Dude this shit is fucking hurting!
"If you pull it out, the bleeding will increase if I hit an artery or another important vein."
I look back at him. I have never felt this calm in my life. Caleb stays silent for a moment, probably questioning if what I said is the truth.
"Well, can you call an ambulance at least?!"

I didn't even think of that, but I probably should get him an ambulance. But, if I tell them I stabbed someone, the police will come too. And then I will be in big trouble. I can't do that, that would be foolish and stupid.
"Sure, if you can promise one thing."
Caleb rolls his eyes and looks at his hands, clenching his teeth not to scream out of pain. His shirt has a dark red spot on it, bleeding through his shirt onto his hands. "What do you want?!"

"This was an accident. You were working in the working place. You held a screwdriver, walked away from the project and stumbled. You fell down and stabbed yourself accidentally,"

"Justin, are you kidding me..."
"I walked in, ran to you and called the ambulance. I had nothing to do with this. I helped you."

I stare at him. I can't get myself into problems right now. I need to stay out of this as much as I can, with this being the only option that I have left. I know even though Caleb and I are mad at each other, he wouldn't want to see me behind bars.

Caleb closes his eyes for a moment, groaning as he applies pressure to the wound. "Deal. Whatever you want, just call the fucking ambulance."

And as he promised, Caleb didn't say a thing. When the ambulance came he had to tell the whole story about how this happened. I made sure to not stay too close, but just far enough so I can hear it. He fell and stabbed himself. That's what he told.

A small grin appears on my face. Caleb is a softy, just like Alyys. They would do almost anything for me if it would mean that I wouldn't get in trouble. As aspected, I also needed to tell them about the accident. I told the exact same story and they believed us.

In the hospital, they finally take out the screwdriver. Caleb kept wining about in how much he pain he was so to get him silent they gave I'm an IV with, I have no idea what. Some kind of painkiller I guess, because in a few minutes Caleb stopped wining and turned on the little tv on the side. He starts watching some boring and pretty annoying talk show which is already irritating me.

"If I get the bill for this, you are going to pay for it."
"Wouldn't that be weird? It was, after all, an accident. So why should I pay?"
Caleb mumbles something about this not being fair and shuts up.

"Listen, you asshole. You keep your mouth shut until the day you'll die, understood?"

"Why are you so worried about this shit? I will keep my mouth shut, you can trust me."
Caleb looks over at me, trying to convince me about this.

"Not with Alyys." I can see Caleb opine his mouth to say something back, but closing it shortly after.

"So... Do you need to stay?"
It has been some time since we have spoken. We stared at the tv in silence. The talk show isn't as bad as I thought I would be.

"A day they said, just to be sure that I don't bleed inside or something like that."
I stand up and grab my jacket. "Good luck but sorry dude but I need to go."

We say goodbye as normal friends would. I walk out of the hospital and think about how weird this day was. My head doesn't like the thought of work, so let's go home and chill. I grab some cash and quickly get on the bus towards home.

[ Alyys ]

My heart skips a beat when I see the text that Caleb sent me. Apparently, he had an accident and now he's in the hospital. I know I shouldn't do this, but I can't leave him alone there? No one will miss me for an hour or two, and Justin is at work so he wouldn't know about it too.

I put on some reasonable clothes and look up the quickest way to the hospital. Which is by bus, which isn't my favorite but oh well, whatever.

I have never seen the bus seen this full before. There are so many people that want to get out and want to get in, that everybody is bumping into each other. I try to avoid as many people as I can but unfortunately, I bump into a guy.

He obviously sounds irritated when he tells me to look out, so I decide not to say anything back. His voice sounds familiar, but I don't have time to think about it.

When I get out I stare at the building beside me. I have never liked hospitals. The smell, the pure white walls and beds, I hate it. I check the text again and look up where I need to be.

Just a few stairs and then I will be there. I try to avoid every doctor and patient on my way there. Only thinking about being so sick is giving me chills.

The memories start to get into my head and I feel my heartbeat speeding up. Please no, not right now. Not in this place. I take bigger steps hoping I will be in his room sooner.

But before I can think about it I run through the halls, trying to find the department Caleb is. A doctor asks me if I'm ok but I don't answer. I don't want to talk to them right now.

I push open the door from Caleb his room and close it right behind me. I try to get my breath under control again and close my eyes for a second.

"Hey, Alyys... Are you ok?"
Shit, Caleb. I open my eyes and give him a little smile.

"Yes, of course." I take a seat on the bed end and look at him. He doesn't look good at all, he looks tired and in pain. "Are you?"

"Guess you can see I'm not, gladly I have something to stop the pain."
I look over at his hand and shiver. I hate IV's, just the look of them creeps me out.

"Do you need to stay?" He nods and sighs.
"One night, if everything looks good I can go home tomorrow. But I hate the thought of staying here tonight."

I chuckle softly and look around.
"I guess Justin doesn't want to stay?"
"Nope, I guess he hates me now..."

I frown. Hate? No way, Justin wouldn't hate Caleb so fast. They have been best friends for so long. Justin can get really mad, I know that. But he never hates anyone that fast.

"Can't you stay here, with me? They can probably fix a bed for you too, or you can sleep on the couch?"

Wait, he wants me to sleep here? In the hospital, in his room?
"I don't know... I don't think Justin will like that to be honest."

"I thought you were sleeping at Maddie's place because Justin kind of kicked you out."
I softly bite my lip. That one was mean, really mean. I want to go home. I want to be able to cuddle Justin in the morning and smell the freshly made coffee in the morning.

At Maddie's in smells like perfume and sometimes mans deodorant. Not bad, but I want the coffee smell in the morning.

"I do, yes. But if he knows that I slept here, I don't think I can ever go home again."
Caleb tries to laugh it off but stops when he sees I mean it.

"You don't have to, I just don't want to be alone tonight."
He looks over at me, pleading with me with his eyes. One night can't harm anyone. If he promises me to keep his mouth shut about this.

"Fine. But you can't say anything to Justin or Maddie, or anyone!"
Caleb starts to laugh and shakes his head.
"Chill Aly, I promise."
"Good. Now can you arrange that bed for me? I'm not sleeping on this horrible couch."