Chapter 23: Tiaras and Suspenders

Ethan is now preparing for the party of his children - yeah, his', the thought brought a smile into his face, something he always does this past few days, everytime the reality crosses his mind. And he still cannot believe that Ellie personally called him last night - informing him that he is invited at the said party.

He is already losing hope that Ellie will let him come considering her attitude towards him the day he went by their house. So he drowned himself into drinking after he left Lucas' penthouse that night. He brought several cases of beer and drank until the wee hours of the morning. That is why severe headache and hangover has been his companion the whole day. He felt so miserable and cannot think of ways to be with them especially this special day.

So he smiles everytime he remembered her calling but cringed with the memory of how their conversation went.

Flashback...

"Hi Ethan, it's Ellie."

At Ellie's voice, Ethan felt that a bucket full of cold water has been dumped into his body with how quickly his headache left and his mind became clear. But he froze for several seconds and he stammered when he spoke.

"Ellie? Wha - How? You called -" He knows that his voice sounded that he is in awe, something that is unavoidable, given how estatic he felt.

"Did I call at an inappropriate time? Are you doing something?" Relishing the feeling of hearing her voice again even though it is somewhat bland, he cannot at first understand what she is saying, so he panicked at what she said next.

"- I can call later or I'll just send you the details about tomorrow -"

"No! Wait! It's okay. I - I am not busy at the moment."

"Okay." She droned out her answer.

To cover up his surprise and for acting like a fool, he cleared his throat first before speaking again.

"Why did you call Ellie?"

"About tomorrow, it's the twin's birthday party and you are invited." After the statement, Ellie paused, as if she doesn't know what to say anymore. It made him pause as well, for he cannot believe that she will invite him tomorrow. He already steeled himelf to do inappropriate ways to be there, like gatecrash perhaps, but not to the point of misbehaving or making himself looks like a fool or to embarass his family.

The silence may have been awkward for Ellie quickly supplied another statement. "I'll just send you the details as to where the venue is and what time the party will start. Bye. "

"Ellie, wait - hello?" He groaned when he heard the beeping tone, indicating that the call had been cut. He stared at his phone for sometime, debating with himself whether to call the unregistered number or not. After a while he decided not to press it, he doesn't want to push all the buttons that will make Ellie ran or worse withdraw the invitation for tomorrow. Speaking of which, his phone alerted him of a new message. As promised Ellie sent him the complete details of the party.

So here he is, donning an attire which depends on the motif of the party. He made sure he shaved and even found time to make an appointment for a haircut - he should look his best for his children.

When he is finally satisfied with how he looks, he left his house and drove to the event hall, praying that he got to have a minute to talk to the twins.

---

Ellie is talking to the events coordinator when she heard the twin's chorused "Mama!" while running towards her. They are already at the place where the party will be held. Thankfully, Lucas allowed them to use one of the small hall at his hotel - one of the many he acquired through the years of hardwork.