Chapter 24: Offered and Accepted

Ethan has been with Nate and Ally almost everyday. He will pick them up from their house and they will go in the park and eat somewhere. He even brought them to his 'big' house - as what the kids call it - where he found out that Nate likes butterscotch flavored ice cream like him and Ally favors the mint chocolate like their mother.

He also brought them one time to their house in Millbrook, where Alessa and Nathan are both beaming with happiness while playing with the twins, and the elders both teary-eyed when the time came that they have to leave.

He tried several times for Ellie to come with them but she keeps on refusing with the reason that she is busy with work or that she will let him be with the children to catch up with lost years - something that he thankful for.

Though he felt the bliss being with them, emptiness will replace it as soon as he left and went home. He prays for them to live together as what he had always dreamt of.

His prayer was answered one day though because of an unfortunate event. A series of robbery happened in their neighborhood, what was worse is that one of the owner was stabbed when he saw the robber and tried to fight. Good thing the man survived, but the assailant got away. So he felt nervous everytime he left them alone in their house, especially since the last victim was only a block away from their's.

Their safety has been the constant reason for their discussion, like today. He kept on persuading Ellie to leave the area temporarily and live somewhere safe. Her constant reply is that they have nowhere to go where the kids will not feel uprooted. So, he offered his house where they can stay, temporarily or permanently - like he so wishes. But Ellie looked at him incredulously when he verbalized his suggestion, like he told her to rob or kill someone. And here they are again today, having the discussion for the nth time. He is already wearing the floorboard at her house with how he walks back and forth in front of Ellie everytime this topic came about.

"Ellie, please see reason, it is not safe here." He pleaded and rub the back of his neck, he is expecting another adamant refusal and long discussion, so he felt relieved when she agreed at his statement - for the first time.

"I know, it is not safe Ethan..."

He started to smile but her next statement made him gaped, disbelieving.

"But I don't like it that you feel obligated to offer your house."

He took one step towards her after a minute and held back when he saw her became alert. So he make use of that time to read her expression, and there he saw the hesitation, fear and something else he cannot define for she already put on her mask and that something else gave him a slight hope.

"Ellie, I am not offering my home to you and our children out of obligation, because if I feel obligated, I would just rent a house or a hotel where you can stay." Then without a word, he left in order to let her think through his offer and the situation that they are currently in.

---

Ellie's eyes just followed Ethan while he left without a word and she felt a tad bit regretful about what she said. Something that she always feel ever since meeting him again. She blew a breath when her focus came back at their situation. Yes, she knows it is not safe, and every night that she is alone with the kids, her fear shoots up and all the morbid things she thought may happen to them flashes in her mind.

She feels tempted to accept Ethan's offer but the thought of living with him under one roof terrifies her.

Her train of thoughts ceased when the twins went out of their room and questions came when they noticed that their father isn't with her.

"Did papa left already mama?" - Ally

"Did you accept his offer already mama?" - Nate

"Yes, he already left Ally. As for your question Nate, no, I did not accept what he offered." At her answer, she thought that they will just let it go, especially since they always accepts her reasons and explanations without qualms.