-1

It is summer before Kala Emrys' fifth year in Hogwarts

It is summer before Kala Emrys' fifth year in Hogwarts. Kala stood with a glass of sparkling water observing the annual Malfoy Summer Ball with a somber expression on her face.

With a strict pureblood guest list and a Manor decorated with nothing short of elegance, it is the most awaited party of the year.

Kala is regularly invited to the Malfoy's Manor regardless if there was a party or not. She is, after all, best friends with the dashing Abraxas Malfoy.

She grew up with him and they've spent almost their entire childhood together. In fact, the two of them would have been intended for each other if Abraxas didn't have an unbreakable understanding with Rebecca Lestrange before they were even born.

Kala would never admit it to anyone but the party was boring her. The pureblood community was all fine and well but it was so dull.

With pureblood customs, women often times became society wives planning parties and giving birth to more magical babies. She didn't want that. Kala had a hunger for adventure and a thirst for powerful magic.

Kala stood to the side drinking her sparkling water and smiling politely at anyone that greeted her.

Abraxas Malfoy meets her eye from across the room and he smiles charmingly making his way towards her. "Brooding works well for you, gorgeous."

"I learned it from you." Kala returned the smile playfully winking at her best friend.

The two of them are dressed exquisitely showing off the family importance and power. Several people pass by the two and bow their heads in respect. Both Kala and Abraxas merely nod in return unconsciously assuming their dominance to the other Wizarding families.

Abraxas places a hand on her arm and grins. "Ready to cause another year of trouble?"

"Always." Kala tells him eyeing her childhood friend and appreciating their unwavering bond. "I'm glad we have each other."

Abraxas' famous Malfoy smirk appears. "That wont ever change."

"Are you certain?" Kala grins teasingly tilting her head to the side. "Because Rebecca Lestrange has been glaring at me since the moment I arrived."

"Don't take it personally. She was born disfigured." Abraxas sniggers grey eyes alight with amusement.

"Abraxas Malfoy! That is your future wife!" She scolds resisting the urge to agree with him.

He rolls his eyes turning away from his betrothed. "A wife I didn't choose. You're absolutely lucky not to have one yet."

"Yet. Father will choose soon."

"If you get Longbottom, I don't think we can be friends." Abraxas shudders his nose turning up.

They both blanch at the thought. "I wouldn't be friends with me either."