twenty-one

21 || fighting back

"YOU WANT A FIGHT? YOU GOT ONE, SHELL HEAD

"YOU WANT A FIGHT? YOU GOT ONE, SHELL HEAD."

MAZ KANATA'S CANTINA, TAKODANA-

"Kyra."

Everything in the world seemed to slow down as she stared up at the sky. The bright red hues that light up the bright blue background seemed so innocent, so peaceful. If anything, it was the exact opposite. She was frozen in place, the young woman almost swearing that she could hear the screams of the people on those planets inside of her mind.

"Kyra!"

Her hand clamped over her mouth, there wasn't anything running through Kyra's mind except for the fact that she was too late. She had failed to get the information back to the Resistance fast enough. A whole planetary system was now gone, and all because of her.

Why hadn't she done more?

"Kyra!" Finn grabbed the young woman, snapping her out of whatever place she had just gone and drifted off into. "There's no time for this. We have to get inside and tell them. They just target the New Republic, and those planets are dead. Unless you want this system and the Illenium one next, we have to find-"

"Kid!" Han exclaimed, seeing the two of them outside. He scanned Finn and Kyra's faces, a sadness plastered over the both of their expressions. It made him nervous- he hadn't seen the two of them this worried since he had become a part of their company. "What the hell just happened here?" The smuggler looked around at the scene that was unfolding in front of them, people realizing that something big was going on- and all of them had just witnessed it.

"The First Order." Kyra croaked out, her eyes falling upon Han, who was now accompanied by Chewbacca. She assumed that he had run over to the fortress as soon as he had seen the blazing red streaks that looked like fire in the sky. "They did it. They used the weapon that I've been trying to stop for years. How could I have been so stupid?!"

"Kid- Kyra- slow down." Han placed his hands on her shoulders, seeing the young woman slowly start to freak out in front of him. "What do you mean weapon? Who did they target?" He asked, his questions slowly fed to Kyra, the smuggler afraid that he'd overwhelm her. There was a look in her eyes that made him nervous- he never expected to see her this rattled and vulnerable.

"The First Order has a weapon that has the capability to destroy entire planetary systems." Kyra whispered in response, looking up at Han with a look of defeated fear. "When I left the base last, I knew that it was going to be ready soon. I had no idea that they'd use it so fast. I thought I still had time." She muttered, shaking her head out of whatever thought came into her head next. "They targeted the New Republic."

"Whatever was on those planets? It's gone." Finn confirmed, standing by Kyra. Unsure of what to do to help stop her from freaking out, he wrapped his hand in hers, giving it a brotherly squeeze. "But there's a way to stop it. There's a way to fight back against it. And if we can get BB-8 back to the Resistance, Luke Skywalker can help us take it out. Speaking of, where's Rey?"