Chap 6: The plaque

I feel the sensation of rain. Dropping from the sky, and landing on my black clothing. I have my wooden crutches at hand, keeping me from falling over. I look up at the grey, sad sky. I know why I am standing out here. I relax my head, letting my eyes fall upon a stone. A stone with a name, engraved on the front, along with a birth date.... and a death date. It is a gravestone, a plaque that I made with my bare hands. A plaque for Rein....

I look to my left, seeing John, dressed in a full black trench coat with his white dress shirt. And his white pair of jeans, with his knee length leather brown boots, he has his regiment patches on both shoulders and one large one on his back. To the left of John, stands Loren. Dressed the same way, we all are dressed the same. I turn my head to the right, seeing Dina, standing with Rein's Grandfather, he is an old kind man. Who looks like he has seen his fair share of death. He is dressed in full black, wearing a nice black coat, and black suit pants, and dress shoes. He takes notice of my gawking and smiles.

He opens his mouth, looking ready to ask a question. "We stand here...to celebrate life. A life of a young man, (The grandfather started to get a bit teared up) A young man...that died too young. He is my Grandson, a son I wish that I had.... (The grandfather took out an handkerchief, wiping his watery eyes.) This boy, this true soldier. Lived one of the hardest life's. And still turned out well." The grandfather stopped talking, looking weak. "Please....if you have anything to say....do it now" The grandfather says, looking each of us in the eyes

I take a deep breath walking up, in front of the small crowed. Looking down on Rein's stone plaque.

"Rein Alaric, he was a true soldier, a friend to all. He fought in combat, not for survival, but for everyone's survival. This guy, my best friend, brought light into my lonely world. By simply being a friend. Being someone who is able, to take his own life. Just to save some stranger. This soldier showed us what it means to be alive! This man showed us that life is not just about survival. But about everyone, it is about meeting new people, and seeing beautiful things! This man....this man showed me how to be alive!(I start to hear some of my squad tearing up) Rein was humanity's friend, but his service does not end here...knowing that he used to live, bringing power to me, to my squad. To humanity. This is all I have to say for Rein. This is all I can say for Rein....he still lives in our hearts. He is still with us. That is all..." I stop talking turning back around looking at everyone, saluting, I turn back around facing the stone plaque, leaning against my crutch, giving Rein...his salute... this is our final good bye.

So....

Good bye....Rein....

I slowly make my way out of the graveyard, heading to the barracks. With my squad, following right behind me. After a few minutes, this walk started feeling like a long run. I still feel the heavy mood, still once again. Sinking into my heart, making me slow my already slow pace from my broken leg.

"Hey Alex." John says getting my attention.

"Yes?" I ask still not looking back at them.

"Why...Didn't Tom attend..the funeral?" John asks sounding a bit annoyed.

"He has his own struggles, just like us." I say still keeping my pace. John doesn't respond making the walk feel awkward.