Chapter 14

Emily POV:I walk towards my bathroom to freshen up but on the way, a picture album catches my eye, hidden rather badly, disguised in my bookshelf

Emily POV:
I walk towards my bathroom to freshen up but on the way, a picture album catches my eye, hidden rather badly, disguised in my bookshelf. I had purposely chosen an album that looked like a book from the first glance.

My heart pounds erratically in my chest before I pick the album up, the familiar cover feels old and worn in my hands. I look at my bed to see Luke still sleeping peacefully, not wanting to disturb him I walk into my bathroom and sit the album on the counter.

Sighing I turn the tap on and splash some running water over my face before I slowly open the first page of the album, not missing the tightening of my chest as I view the first picture.

I'm unsure what exactly it was that pushed me to even open it, but the second I saw the worn out cover, my hands ached to touch it, to feel the familiar pages and see the familiar photos of a life I once had. A perfect life for the most part.

It was a picture of just Maddi and I before Elijah was born, we were both smiling at each other and you can feel the love just by looking at the photo. It kind it reminded me of Anna and Elsa, and how close they were, post brain freeze obviously.

Tears begin to well in my eyes but I hold them back and turn the page over, there a few pictures of just Maddi and me, making it harder to hold back my tears. I keep turning the pages until the first photo of the 3 of us comes into view.

I try and hold back my tears but they still fall out as I look at it. Elijah was obviously a newborn, and Maddi and I were sitting side by side with Elijah in front of us leaning on our laps. He was laughing and Maddi and I were smiling at our new little brother. Unlike so many other children, we were all excited to meet each other. There was never any jealousy or hate from the older siblings. On the same page, there was another photo of the 5 of us, Maddi, Elijah, Myself, my mom and even my biological father. My mom was holding Elijah in her arms, looking down at him and laughing which was making him laugh back, and Maddi and I were both in my father's arms, also laughing at our little brother. Even my father was laughing.

The tears poured out of my eyes more frequently but I continued to turn pages. There were a fair few with my mother in them, and less with my father in them. Every page I turned the tears became heavier and I struggled to not make a sound.

We were all so happy, there were some with just Maddi and me, and more with Elijah as well. There were also a lot of photos of Luke and Miles with us, even a few with Charlie and the extended family. I keep turning pages until I come to the photo the day before Maddi was diagnosed, it was a picture of the 3 of us and Luke and Miles. We were all standing in front of the water theme park a few suburbs over, like usual Miles was staring straight at Maddi beside him lovingly with his arm around her, while she smiled at the camera while the rest of us had huge cheesy grins on our faces.

I accidentally let out a quiet but mangled sound, and turn the page hoping to rid the memory of the last good day before everything happened. Charlie was invited along with her family but they were visiting her grandparents on her other side.