CHAPTER FORTY ➵ ORIGIN OF TEMPEST MAGIC

So, this chapter is mainly the lore I created for Tempest Magic and I had too much fun with it. It's fairly long, just a warning.

Hope you enjoy!

Dealana got comfortable on the cloud formed by Makani, who she learned was the father of Cress, the tavern owner she helped awhile back. Facing the possibility of a trial, the rather laid back man was sharing one of the tribe's sacred stories about the Thunderbird, an animal important to their history, way of life and the very magic they tend to specialize in.

"To understand the origin of Tempest Magic, we must go to how it all began, hundreds of years ago in a small village called Zephyranthes, where two orphan siblings lived in the forests just along the outskirts. They didn't have much but they had each other and it was a bond that they believed could withstand any storm." Makani began.

"Giro! Giro!" A young girl with blue hair so pale that it almost seemed white shouted as she ran through the small village, her bare feet hitting the ground. A small tuft of bangs covered her left eye."Giro! Giro! You'll never guess what!" Her visible eye shining with so much excitement she felt as if she might burst. She was nearing the dense forest that bordered one side of their settlements. 

She was so excited and determined to share great news that she didn't even notice when a passing kid a few years older than her stick his foot out to trip her. The girl fell on her face and the sound of something shattering echoed in her ears. She gasped, quickly scrambling to her knees to find that her surprise was ruined. Broken crystal lay at her knees while the boy and his friends laughed.

"Look at the orphan freak!" He crowed before he picked up the largest piece of shattered crystal to inspect it in the light. "What's this? A crystal? Aren't those worth a lot?" He sneered looking at the girl, who had tears pooling in her eyes.

"I bet she stole it!" One of the girls accused pointing a finger at the sniffling girl.

"I didn't- I didn't steal it!" The girl shouted back angrily. She just wanted to bring the crystal to her brother, she found it in a cave on the other side of the village. She had hoped that it was indeed valuable so they might finally be able to afford food and not have to worry about foraging for once.

"Then where did you get it?" The girl's main tormenter demanded. The girl remained silent, not wishing to reveal something so special to the other kids. She just knew they would destroy the beautiful place she stumbled upon. Even the crystal in front of her was already broken off of a large crystal through natural means.

The boy didn't seem to please with her lack of response and kicked the girl in the side. She fell back to the ground with a small whimper. "I said, where did you get it, freak!?"