01: Serendipity🎲🃏

𝓜𝓮𝓭𝓲𝓪: '𝓡𝓾𝓷𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓑𝓪𝓬𝓴' 𝓫𝔂 𝓦𝓪𝓵𝓮 𝓯𝓽 𝓛𝓲𝓵 𝓦𝓪𝔂𝓷𝓮

Asa

━━━━━━━༺۵༻━━━━━━━

"My name is Asa. And I shouldn't exist."

-Asa's diary
━━━━━━━༺۵༻━━━━━━━

The gods. The celestial beings, that governed teenage hierarchy and social order had dictated that Kam and I be placed in two extremely different social groups.

I knew Kam before I actually met him. It was impossible not to know him.

Like me, he was a new student. Kam, with his glowing charisma and carelessly happy personality, made him likeable and approachable. He was quickly admitted into the Big Boys gang. A group of effortlessly cool, entitled rich kids and instantly became the golden boy.

When I first came, I was rude. Bitter, even. Still healing from my stinging experience in Abuja. Still angry with the world and reeling at the unfairness of the universe. I was cold. Hard. No one dared approach me and I would have loved to be happily left alone if Kosi had not pursued me and befriended me. And with Kosi, came Jemi and in no time, we formed a close knit friendship. I found a quiet place for myself with Kosi and Jemi. My best friends.

That was the way it was supposed to be. The natural order of things had set us up in such a way that we would never really have to talk or meet or cross paths because our social groups were miles away.

But that night. The night of the celebratory party, Fate, that bitch called Fate had other plans. And fate held our destinies in her hands and decided that our paths would cross, in one of the most mundane ways possible, for that matter. And we were powerless to stop the plethora of events that occurred after that.

The serendipitous incidence gave birth to something too beautiful to exist. To something both fragile and eternal. And just thinking back to those times fills me with so much nostalgia and euphoria. A personal high that I can't climb down from.

So, I guess I should thank that bitch called Fate.

*

It was the first day of school that academic year. And like all other first days, we introduced the school year with a friendly game.

This year, it was basketball. And Jemi, our undefeated school champion had completely annihilated the opposing team. So of course, there had to be a party thrown in his honour, even though it was the middle of a school week.