18: Whiskey🍻

Kam

Kam

━━━━━━━༺۵༻━━━━━━━

"You must love yourself first

And then, you must learn to accept the love of others too."

━━━━━━༺۵༻━━━━━━━

It was two in the morning and my phone was ringing that stupid annoying ring tune that managed to echo in my head after I hang up.

Fucking Dan. Wouldn't leave me alone.

He had probably gotten drunk again and wanted me to haul his ass home.

The phone started ringing again and I rolled in my bed, reaching out to my bedside table and grabbed the single instrument of torture.

"This is not a good time, Dan!" I groaned, rubbing my eyes and stifling a yawn.

But the voice that replied sobered me up.

"Kam?"

"Asa?" I sat up quickly. "What is it?"

It took her a while to answer and in those few seconds of silence, I could hear my own heartbeat slamming inside me.

"Can I... can I see you?" Her voice sounded scratchy, like she had a sore throat.

It was two in the morning and it had been raining throughout the night. The weather was so cool and comfortable, perfect for sleeping in, but I just couldn't say no to Asa.

"Send me the address. I'll be there in fifteen."

She exhaled a breath of air, like a sigh of relief.

She had expected me to refuse.

I found her under a dilapidated shed, somewhere on the mainland. When I read the address and found out that she wanted us to meet on the mainland, I got curious again, and when I went deeper into the underdeveloped part, I got a little worried.

I always thought she lived on the island which was where most of us from school, save for some scholarship students, lived. And even if she didn't live on the island, I thought she'd live in the richer part of the mainland, not in an overcrowded dump like this.

In short, Lagos was divided into two parts. The island, where the patricians, the wealthy class lived. And the mainland, where mostly plebeians dominated.

Asa always strikes me as someone that lived on the island or at least, the rich part of the mainland, always looking so poised and dignified.

The shed was doing a bad job, shielding her from the rain and I when I pulled up in front of her, she scampered into the car, shivering and wheezing. Her clothes, a thick, black hoodie and jeans, were soaked and she sneezed.