2 : Training (1)

A year later ~

You felt your back plant firmly on the ground as you held your breath. The pain made you wince as you blocked a wooden sword aiming for you. A wicked grin spread across your face as you threw your feet up in a motion that twisted your body and put the older man in an arm lock under you.

It was his turn to wince, "You're getting better, (Y/N)." His voice was laced heavily with proudness. You let out a hearty chuckle and jumped off of him in a swift motion. You were flexible and very good at swordsmanship already, you just had trouble mastering the techniques. You sat down and started to slowly drink your water, it was quite refreshing to say the least.

"How do you think Kyo-san is doing at the final selection? Do you know when he'll be back? It's already been more than a week." You had a gentle voice, one that could soothe anyone. Much like the leader of the Demon Slayers, which many called Oyakata-sama. The tall man smiled and shook his finger. You knew what that meant, no questions asked. It had become part of your routine, you would repeatedly ask questions, and he would shake his finger if he didn't want to answer.

"My apologies, seems my mind doesn't like to stop running." You giggled with a lightness about you. It was serene and most people described your presence as graceful. However, the Rengoku's saw a different side to you. A more energetic and out going attitude took place when you were with them. They reminded you of family, and they loved training. It was almost all you did in recent weeks, train.

Train, it echoed in your mind like the words of your dead family members. This time, it was by your own will and not someone else's. You chose this, and were proud. Not prideful, but proud. It wasn't a thing a normal girl your age would do, but you were ecstatic about it. Absolutely elated. You honed your skills, your muscle, your technique 24/7. It was all you could think about, all you wanted to do. Train, be better. Train, get stronger. Put an end to demons once and for all. It's all you thought about. All you wanted to think about. You were determined, and had strict self discipline. You were much like Kyojuro in that way. Was that why the two of you got along so well? Why you almost matched his skills completely?

As if on queue, Kyojuro walked through the gate. His forehead was wrapped neatly in bandages, but other than that and the dirt that covered him, he looked unscathed. "Kyo-san!" You shouted as your feet practically flew off the ground and towards him. You were worried sick about him, not that you would ever admit it. "You're back!" You wrapped your arms around him with such gentleness, it was almost unrecognizable. You were short compared to him, but it didn't matter to either of you. He saw you as his equal, especially in swordsmanship. If you could master the breathing techniques, you both would be perfect sparring partners.

What no one knew though, was that you were already training yourself in constantly using the breathing techniques. Some of the demon slayers called it Total Concentration, Constant, but you just referred to it as breathing regulation. It was easier, and most people knew what you were talking about. You could use it for the majority of the day, but not completely.

Kyojuro smiled down at you, "Hey there, snowball." That was your nickname. He gave it to you during the winter, right after you were discharged from the butterfly estate. He found you rolling in the snow like a ball, and the name just stuck. It was ironic, really, since when Shinjuro found you, you were practically rolling in the snow as well. "I told you I'd make it back alive!" His cheery voice left you winded and speechless. It had been over a week, and you were already shocked by his voice again? Was this how it was going to happen from now on?

"I never doubted you." In truth, you didn't doubt him. You just remembered the monster you saw on the night your family was murdered ruthlessly. Thinking back to that, it made your heart pound, if there was a demon as strong as that one... would Kyojuro really be able to kill it? As he is right now? Hopefully you wouldn't have to find that answer out. You pulled your arms away and waved bye to the tall, erratic man. He gave a confused smile but waved as well. Not much about it made him worry, though, as he went inside to rest for awhile. You on the other hand left the residence and ran towards the thicker parts of the woods. You felt angry for some reason. No, it wasn't anger, but sadness, grief, guilt. Why? It had been a year. You found yourself thinking about them often, but it never made you angry. You didn't even know if you were capable of getting angry.