18 : Kinda Random Chapter lol

After everyone left, Aoi brought in some food thinking you were probably famished. And despite Aoi's constant nagging about Kyojuro being in there so close to you, he seemed unphased and stayed by your side no matter. Even when Shinobu came in to lecture him, he sat there and took the punishment. After those two were done lecturing him, they lectured you for leaving without permission.

"I know, Shinobu-san. It was dangerous, but I trust the Rengoku household physician." You half assed your reasoning. It wasn't the first time you had been lectured by her, and although you usually tried to avoid it, you seemed oddly used to it.

"She's right, you know. What could have happened if you never even made it to my home?" Kyojuro spoke up with a scowl craved into his face. It was obviously forced, but it was there nonetheless. "What if it had rained? You could have gotten worse!"

"Exactly my point." Shinobu scoffed. Your face showcased a small smile.

Without thinking, you covered your face using your hands, "I... felt it was worth the risk." That was reason enough for Kyojuro. He understood taking risks, but he still didn't like the idea of it. Not for you anyways. Removing one of your hands you placed it on Kyojuro's bandaged eye. "If I wasn't familiar with taking risks, neither of us would be here." This sudden act of affection made Kyojuro's face heat up as he turned to try and hide it from you all. "Besides, this fever isn't a normal one. I know exactly what caused it, and how to get rid of it."

Shinobu's face showed both concern and surprise at your words as Kyojuro composed himself once more and looked at you once more. His gaze was more loving than anything, and both Shinobu and Aoi noticed. They also realized you and he were completely oblivious to the subtle changes. "If you know how to get rid of it, then why haven't you?" Aoi questioned from the doorway of the room.

"There are only two ways to get rid of it, and I'm not really willing to do either... not yet at least." You laughed to yourself. Kyojuro gave a confused smile beckoning you to explain. "The first day to get rid of it... is to give up on being a demon slayer, or having any mental stability. To get rid of it, I could simply remove my threads holding my 'spiritual core' together and become mentally crippled." You paused looking for a reaction.

"Absolutely not!" Shinobu shouted at the thought.

You only chuckled and continued, "The second way is to solidify the new emotions I feel. To indulge in the normal humanly behaviors and destroying my family bloodline and traits." Kyojuro tensed and only shook his head silently opposing both ideas. "So as you can imagine, I'm weighing my options with great care. So for now, I will continue training and going on missions like normal despite the fever. You will just have to accept this. However, Oyakata-sama told me I can't leave this estate until Kyojuro is healed completely. Those were his conditions." Kyojuro sighed quietly while Shinobu seemed to object the entire situation. It was completely unfair, why did you always get the short end of the stick?

A few days later, you sat up in your bed with little noise so Kyojuro could sleep peacefully. You didn't want to worry him, so you left the room as quietly as you could and headed towards the roof to get some fresh air. It was cool and refreshing to feel the wind dance on your cheeks.

"Follow your heart, kiddo." Shinjuro's words echoed in your mind as you pulled you knees to your chest and laid your chin on top of them. Heavily sighing, you heard Tanjiro approach you. He was trying to be quiet so he didn't interrupt you, but he wasn't quite quiet enough.

"Hey, kid. You sure you're okay to be moving around? That wound on your abdomen was pretty serious." You said kindly as your soft eyes landed on him.

He smiled brightly, "it's been healing really nicely, (Y/N)-san! But... I couldn't help but smell sadness coming off from you... is everything okay? I mean, you have such a kind smile..." he trailed off.