24 : Smile

You huffed and opened your eyes, weakly, to look at the moon that poured in through the cracks of the building. Your body wouldn't move, it refused to. No, it didn't refuse, you just couldn't move. Something was stopping, no, restricting you. You had watched in slow motion as you got buried under rubble, and now you're stuck like this. It was inevitable. Some of the structure had sliced your skin, but it was nothing fatal.

The air was filled with dust as you tried to slow your breathing unsuccessfully. How did this happen? You clenched my fist, the one you could still feel. The other was above the ruble slightly, and felt numb. You could make out the chilly air of the atmosphere using the hand outside of the rubble, but that was all. It was useless, really. You tried really hard to think of a way out, but that was also useless. You were far to weak, due to your injuries, to get out on your own.

"What happened... oh, that's right... I was fighting that sickle guy with Tengen-san and Tanjiro...'

With the crushing weight of the destruction above you, you felt your ribs crack more than before. It hurt. A lot. It didn't stop you, though. What stopped you was the feeling of blood on your face. Was that there before? You couldn't remember getting hit on the head... a sudden burst of wind moved your hand, your eyes widening. It sent a sharp pain into your entire body causing you to yelp. With uncontrollable tears falling from your eyes, you stiffened your expression. 'This was your fault,' you thought. 'If I hadn't been so reckless- if I had let someone help, Akaza wouldn't have dealt as much damage as he did... I would be useful right now... damn my ego...'

You figured there's no point in being awake when you couldn't do anything. Might as well rest while you could. Everything hurt. To much to actually think about anything, at least.

You closed your eyes and drifted off into an unconscious state. It wasn't a normal sleep. When you opened your eyes, you were in a dark area. Everything around you was black, but there was solid ground beneath you. You looked around and began running not knowing what this meant.

'Did I die? No, that can't be! I refuse to die! I won't! I don't want to die!' You shouted to yourself with tears finally escaping your eyes. You felt like you had been running for hours when you finally came face to face with your mother and brother. "Onii-sama, mother, what are you doing?" You questioned coming to a halt. With wide eyes, you felt two pairs of arms wrap around you.

"You've changed so much, (Y/N)!" Your older brother spoke into your shoulder. "Why are you here? You shouldn't be here! You don't belong here yet!" He pulled away grabbing both your shoulders and staring at you deeply.

"Am I... dead?" You asked blankly with no expression. You felt tears streaming down your face, but you couldn't muster a smile. You couldn't even form a frown.

Mother only shook her head, "You're not dead, (Y/N). But since you're here, there are some things you need to know..."

You nodded and wiped your face off quickly, forcing a determined look on your features.

After what seemed like another eternity, you finally felt warmth. It was strange, because you only felt it on one part of your body. You looked at your family for answers but they just smiled and hugged you saying goodbye. They told you they loved you and that they'd always watch over you.

You slowly began to open your eyes to see the moon still high in the sky. You were still buried, but you felt someone grabbing your hand. They weren't pulling it, they just held it softly. You felt a cool liquid slide down your arm and realized whoever it was, they were shedding tears. Your fingers twitched from the coldness and immediately realized a reaction. Whoever it was, tensed and soon left screaming something. You couldn't hear what they said, nor could you decipher who it was, but you knew you would be free soon.