50 : The Ending (2)

Kyojuro woke up in the morning, your face still buried in his chest while your breathing seemed to sooth him. He remembered seeing your eyes for the first time in months the night before, his sigh full of relief. You stirred in your sleep, Kyojuro gently stroking your head as he smiled softly with closed eyes.

Before he could relish in the moment longer, the door slid open, revealing a casually dressed Aoi who brought food for the two of you.

The sweet aroma of your favorite meal filled your nose, your eyes immediately slipping open as a result.

You perched yourself up on your elbow, peering over Kyojuro's side to see the delicious looking meal meant for you and you alone. The other, you had no interest in...

"Food!!" You chanted and rolled over Kyojuro who laughed at your cheery behavior. Rosy cheeks made your smile even more angelic as you took the plate from a wide smiled Aoi. Even she was happy to have you back, your attitude certainly made the place a bit more lively.

"Thank you so much, I feel famished!" You shouted gleefully, sitting back down on the bed enthusiastically.

Kyojuro watched with an affectionate grin pointed at you as Aoi gave him his plate full of sweet potatoes. It was his favorite after all, so you couldn't blame him for digging in just as you had.

Within minutes, the sweet smelling food was gone, not at all savored but instead, was devoured. You had been quite hungry, but after you felt better Aoi left the two of you alone once again.

"I never said good morning to you, but well, now's as good a time as any..." you chuckled and bumped him slightly with your shoulder. "Cheer up, will ya? You're acting more dead than alive." Your smile lit up his world once more.

"Alright, alright!" He laughed and stood to his feet, pulling you up with him. His hands were placed on your hips, you staring up into his golden suns. The way he lit up your world was something you could never put into words. The feeling of happiness swelled in your heart, his head leaning down to meet yours more closely.

With a grin, you pulled yourself up and connected your lips with his, taking in every bit of the sweet taste you had almost forgotten. You savored it and memorised every part of his mouth with your tongue that freely roamed.

After a moment, he pulled away and planted a gentle kiss on your forehead. "Let's go, we've been cooped up in this room for long enough." He closed his eyes and gave you a toothy smile to sell the idea he had offered happily.

In return, you told him to wait, "I need a shower before we go anywhere!" You shouted and ran towards the bathroom to quickly hop in the shower and clean yourself.

You undressed quicker than you thought possible, but paused at the mirror when you saw all the scarring left from the painful experience in the infinity fortress. You smiled to yourself and shook away the memories knowing it was in the past.

You had learned long ago not to regret or pity the past.

So with little thought, you cleaned yourself and dried off, putting on a clean set of clothing, not bothering with putting on your haori. It was strange to not be wearing your uniform anymore, but it wasn't something you missed. It would always bring back happy and sad memories, but now you could make new ones that don't involve anything but your friends and family. No more demons. No more man eating creatures, or deaths caused by them.

You met Kyojuro in the garden, him drinking a cup of tea as he sat at a table gazing at the flowers that swayed peacefully in the wind. It blew on his hair softly, making the scene before you even more majestic as you shivered from your wet hair hitting your neck.