- 35 -

::: Mairin's P.O.V :::

It was silent and the atmosphere felt awkward. Nobody in the group was talking, just having on unreadable expressions. Ever since yesterday, Alain had been more silent than usual and kept away. Calem and [Name] kept their distance away from him, talking amongst themselves and glancing at him. [Name] had tried to make a conversation with Alain, but it was just painful to look at. He didn't try to talk and ignored her. His eyes, they were filled with guilt. And [Name] she had a disappointed look and behind her eyes, it looked as if she was angry and betrayed. Calem, he's hard to read, but even I could tell he was angry. He often stood next to [Name] in a protective manner. The three, they were no longer even talking. As if a trust had been broken between them.

I don't exactly know what happened that evening. Calem and Alain had an argument, Alain walked away, [Name] disappeared for some time, she came back without any emotion, and Alain...he came back as if nothing had happened. He obviously didn't say anything when I asked, telling me it was nothing and I should stay out of it. It honestly surprised me. He had never talked to me like that before. Sure he was a bit cold when we met, but he warmed up to me. And [Name], when I tried asking her, she just placed a hand on my head and told me it was nothing. Her smile, it almost seemed fake. All three of them, their hiding something and I don't like it. I want to know what happened. I want us to go back to what we were, happy and having a grand time by telling jokes.

But I even I knew, things wouldn't be the same.

Chespie and I walked behind the group, our gazes down on the ground. It seemed to be more interesting than right now. Earlier today, we've tried to get them to talk and lighten up the mood. We did everything we could to make them smile even just a small one. Yet...they never did. All the hard work we did, it seemed to not help at all. My smile I had disappeared. I couldn't even do anything.

I wiped a tear that had run down my eye with the back of my hand. I was getting way too emotional for this kind of thing. Maybe they are just doing this as a prank, as a way to trick me. Then they'll surprise me and say they just wanted to mess with me. I glance up the three and see no change. I look back down at my shoes and frown. Yeah, I doubt it's a joke. The way they are acting seems far from being a joke.

"Chespin..." Chespie sadly calls out, wrapping a Vine Whip around my arm. He gives a smile, a way to cheer me up.

"Thank you, Chespie," I thank him, smiling down at him.

"Pin, Pin, Ches!" Chespie cheers.

That's right. I still have Chespie with me and Flabebe as well. I'm not really alone. Chespie has been with through my entire journey. We're almost like siblings. If there's anyone who's gonna make me smile, it's Chespie. I don't know what I'll do without him. He's not once given up on me. So I shouldn't give up on the others.

Taking a deep breath, my eyes hardened with determination. I hurry to catch up to the others, practically running. I stop a little way behind them, copying their footsteps. A smile appears on my face and I relax my shoulders. [Name] was busy looking at her device while Calem looked as if he didn't exactly want to be bothered. Alain, he didn't seem to have anything to do. Besides, he always listened to what I said.

Placing my arms behind my back, I chirp, "Alain, do you want to—?"

"Not now, Mairin," Alain harshly spoke, his voice becoming unrecognizable.

My eyes widen with surprise, an audible gasp escaping my lips. Distracted on where I was going, I trip over my own feet and fall on the ground, my arms scraped and the sleeves ripped. I groan and look up, tears filling my eyes. Alain didn't bother to turn around, he just continued walking. And both [Name] and Calem...they didn't pay attention. I whimper, holding back my tears. They longer acted the same. Whenever I fell, they could always come running to my side and playfully call me clumsy. We may have just known each other for a short amount of time, but we grew close as we knew each other forever.