⋇- 7: Part of the Family -⋇

Everyone's attention fell at the small group standing a few steps away from the entrance. Whispers wondering what was going on broke the brief silence as the lean man didn't drop his glare at En.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, his tone cold.

En's grandmother tightened her grip on En's hand. "He's my guest and will be staying here for as long as he wants."

"What?!" The man glanced at the short elderly lady in disbelief. "Are you out of your mind, Mother? Is that monster here as well?"

The man's dark brown eyes scanned behind En's back as if he was looking for someone.

"Don't worry, only his son is here," said En's grandmother, her tone calm, "and I'm planning to have him as my guest for as long as he wants. That's why I wanted to talk to you and your brothers, Jian."

En gazed at the man in front of him, realizing that he was the eldest son and current King of the Yue Kingdom.

"I refuse his stay here," said Jian, raising his chin. "You know very well that the people from that family are unwelcome in the royal grounds."

"But he's part of our family—"

"Even so," said Jian, interrupting his mother, "he's still part of that family, who tricked the kingdom and brought unhappiness to our family."

En gazed at the bright floor, telling himself that he shouldn't have come here, after all. Even though almost fifteen years had passed, his uncles still had a grudge against his family. He couldn't blame them, though. From their point of view, what his father did was really disgusting.

He clenched his fist. Maybe he should take Hui Yin's advice and leave since she was worried about his grandmother's health.

"I agree with Jian, Mother," said a voice approaching them. "He can't stay here."

As En gained the courage to look back at his front, he saw a bearded man joining Jian. Compared to the King, the man was a bit taller and had a strong body. Strands of gray hair could be barely seen in his short black hair.

"I wouldn't stand to see the face that reminds me of that monster every day," continued the man, his dark brown eyes examining En with intense judgment. "Who knows what I would do if we crossed paths with his son and no one is there to hold me back."

Despite those harsh words, En remained calm, gazing at the people in front of him. After hearing those words, he remembered how his father told him about the threats his brothers in law told them in their last encounter. It was unbelievable that a member of his mother's family would have the courage to harm his own nephew. Did he really hate him that much?

"But you and Jian rarely visit me, Li," said En's grandmother, her playful tone brightening the heavy atmosphere. "I don't think you'll ever see his face after tonight. Who knows, when you decide to visit me again, he will be long gone and married with children."

En saw Li gazing at his mother speechless as Chen filled the atmosphere with his laughter. Even though En knew his grandmother was joking, he wondered if she wasn't criticizing her son with humor. Remembering what Mei's father said that afternoon, he wondered how often her eldest sons visited her.

"Even so, he's in the royal grounds," protested Jian, "therefore he's not welcome."

En's grandmother exhaled. "But he's part of the family. Give him a chance."

"No," said Jian, his tone firm. "Your age must be getting the better of you, Mother. Why do you want to keep the offspring of that monster? He kidnapped our only sister and got her pregnant knowing that as an Earthling it would be risky for her to carry a child from a being of a different world. It's their fault she's no longer with us."