⋇- 31: Hard Feelings -⋇

Arisa blinked her eyes, standing still as she couldn't believe what she was seeing. The boy who just showed her a warm smile couldn't be real. Zen rarely displayed that kind of smile and after everything they went through, it wouldn't be possible for him to suddenly show up and smile at her.

Despite confusing thoughts flooding her mind, her heart couldn't stop skipping upon seeing him.

"Zen?" she called, the warm breeze messing her neck-length hair a bit. "Is that, is that really you?"

Zen replied with a nod as Arisa spotted a young woman approaching them. When the girl with long, wavy brownish-red hair that was tied in a ponytail stood by Zen's side, Arisa noticed that the girl was tall, almost reaching Zen's height.

As she wondered who that young woman was, Arisa's gaze remained trapped in the girl's blue eyes for a few seconds. The yellow shades on the contours of the girl's eyes looked so hypnotizing. 

Arisa realized that the young woman could only be part of the famous Dragon Clan. She wondered if the girl had the small, stone-like details hidden behind her bangs. It was another common feature of that clan.

"I'm guessing this is the thief you were looking for." The young woman tilted her head, smiling. "She looks familiar. I think I've seen her before."

Arisa took a step back as the young woman gazed at her thoughtfully. "Thie-thief?"

Realization hit Arisa, remembering that when she left her world, she was classified as a wanted criminal. She wondered what kind of other lies her late King fed the people of her world.

"Aha, now I remember." The young woman hit her fist on her palm. "She's the girl with the radiant smile I've seen in your drawings."

The brownish-red-haired young woman gazed at Zen, who didn't show any reaction to her words.

"What's going on?" Arisa gazed at him. "Why are you here? How did you find out this place?"

Arisa's hands trembled as her fingers curled on the long skirt of her light blue dress. If Zen found their hideout it meant her family was in trouble and she had to do something to protect them.

She curled her lips and raised her hand. Even though her heart found it difficult to fight against him, she had to protect what was important to her. As the crimson flames formed a long object and slowly materialized, Arisa wrapped her fingers around her weapon.

"Which one of your despicable friends is with you today?" she asked as her sword fully materialized.

As the young woman by Zen's side frowned at her, Zen showed no reaction, his dark eyes meeting Arisa's. For a moment, Arisa lowered her guard as she was caught by his gaze. She couldn't see the coldness in them and for a second, she recognized the boy she had always known.

"None of my colleagues are here." Zen took a step forward. "I only brought my cousin with me."

Arisa's brows arched and shifted her view to the young woman for a second. The girl smiled as she nodded. Arisa blinked two times.

"Arisa," said Zen, taking another step forward.

"Stay back." Arisa threatened him with her crimson blade as she took a step back.

Her hand trembled as she tightened her grip on her weapon. Part of her hesitated to fight him. Despite that, she tried to tell herself that her family was at stake with his presence here. She had to fight, no matter how strong her feelings for him were.

Zen gazed at the sword and then at the green ground.

"It's understandable that you would raise your sword at me after everything I've done to you." Zen clenched his fists. "But before you kill me, please let me talk to you, Arisa."