Summer's almost over

At the NJC

Shane's pov

The girls are getting ready to start college soon. Lisa and Carrie are registered at the local junior college. Neither of them are sure about what they would like to major in so Mike and I suggested they get their gen. ed. credits out of the way while taking some electives in subject areas that interest them. We're hoping this way they'll have a better idea which future career possibilities they may want to pursue before enrolling in university and declaring a major.

Neil was kind enough to allow the girls to continue to live at the NJC with us, stating they will always have a home here and the same holds true for Stacey, Julie, Mike, and I as well. The junior college is only about a twenty minute drive from the Center so Lisa and Carrie will easily be able to commute to and from classes on a daily basis.

Stacey and Julie have chosen to go away to school and live in the dorms. They each chose schools around 2&1/2 to 3 hours away but in slightly different directions so their schools are about an hour away from each other. Stacey saved enough money (with a little help from Mike and I) by working two part time jobs this summer, along with helping Neil out at the Foundation, and babysitting on the weekends, to buy herself a used car that she'll be taking to school. Julie only worked about sixteen hours a week this summer at a local grocery store so she'll need to take the bus when she wants to come home for the weekend and during breaks.

Mike and I decided to sit the girls down before classes begin to make our rules and expectations clear.

"What did we do wrong now?" Stacey whined, as she took a seat on my bed and pulled out her phone.

Taking her phone out of her hand and placing it on my desk, I replied, "Well, so far you've come in here with a lousy attitude but I can add making my palm sting to the list, if you continue." I stood in front of our oldest daughter, staring down at her with my hands clasped in front of me and a go ahead and try me if you think I'm joking look on my face.

"My bad." Stacey held up her hands in defense. "I rescind my earlier question. Please continue."

"Girls," Mike held up Stacey's phone then placed it back on my desk. He motioned with two fingers and pointed to it. Knowing exactly what he wanted, Julie, Lisa, and Carrie immediately placed their phones on my desk next to Stacey's.

"Alright, now that we're all on the same page, let's get down to business." I made sure there were four sets of eyes on me before continuing. "Now that you're each eighteen and about to start college, Mike and I want to make our expectations clear and discuss the rules, some negotiable some not. We expect you to abide by all of them, however." I waited for a reaction and surprisingly there were no eye rolls from the peanut gallery.

"First and foremost, Mike and I expect you to make your education your top priority. You've each committed to attending college, you know it's expensive, and while we don't expect you to cover the cost, we do need you to recognize its value and worth. We expect you to attend classes, study, and maintain good grades. Anything you'd like to add, Doctor?"

Mike was leaning against my desk with his arms crossed.

"Yes, thank you, Admiral," he said standing up, bowing to me sarcastically. "Actually, there is. I expect each of you to conduct yourselves like the mature responsible young women you purport to be. Understand?"

Amazingly he received four yes sirs in response.

"Good, let's move on to the non-negotiable rules. Just so you know, ladies, Mike and I discussed and agreed upon each of these rules ahead of time." Mike stood next to me. Both of us had our arms crossed and a rigid look on our faces. We want the girls to know we're a united front.