Chapter 13

I run into Hero's arms, and he drops his bags, picks me up, and hugs me close.

We were separated longer than we expected. While he was in London, he got some job opportunities offered to him which made him to stay longer but I'm happy he's here in Australia.

I held his face and tackled him with a kiss. He puts me on the floor and pulls away from our kiss. I thought he would kiss back but he just looked at me and smiled.

"I missed you" I say, and he holds my hands and kisses my head, holding me close as we walk back into my house.

"I missed you too" he says.

"Are you hungry? I cooked" I say.

"You cooked" he says surprised, and I giggle.

"We have the house for ourselves, so I thought I could make up for all the romance we missed during this month" I say pecking his lips and he smiles.

He observes my parents' house and I show him around. I showed him my room and he left his bags there.

"So, you grew up in this home" he asks, and I nod.

"All 22 years, there's been renovations and updates throughout the year" I say looking up at him with a smile. I'm so happy here.

"Let's eat" I say pulling him down to the kitchen.

We eat and talk a little, but something feels off. Was it all the time we were apart?

Once our pretty awkward dinner is over, I bring our dishes to the kitchen, and I join him on the couch.

I sit close to him, and he holds my waist. I wrap my arms around his neck and lean our heads together.

"So where are your parents? I was excited to meet them" he says.

"You will, they had this charity event to go with Katherine. They will be back by Monday" I say and nod.

I gently held a hand to his face and kissed him.

He gently kisses me back but pulls away and I sight and start kissing his neck.

"What's wrong? You've been weird all day" I say, and he rubs his hands up and down my waist.

"Something happened while I was in London" he says.

"What happened" I ask concerned.

He gently scoots me off his lap and let go of my waist.

"Hero, what happened" I say starting to get nervous.

"Look Jo, I love you and you're the only person I want to be with, it's just..." he starts to say but I cut him off.

"Just say it" I say.

"I slept with someone" he says, and my eyes go wide open.

"What do you mean you slept with someone" I say standing up and pacing back and forth.

"I was drunk, way too drunk. It was on my friend's birthday; I drank too much, and I slept with some girl at the party" he says.

"She came onto me; I wasn't sure what was happening, but it all happened so quick" He explains, and my eyes begin to fill with tears.

"Why Hero, why?" I say taking a seat on another couch, but he comes to my side and tries to comfort me.

"I was drunk, I didn't mean to" he says, and I take his hands off me.

"That doesn't mean okay" I say.

"How I am supposed to trust you" I say looking up at him.

"Please believe me when I say something like that will never happen again. I love you" he says.

"And I love you, but this is too much right now" I say.

"I'll give you some space," he says, standing up.

"I need you to leave" I say gently.

"What" he asks.

"Go to a hotel or something. I don't want you here" I clarify.

"Come on Jo, you don't mean that" he says, and I nod.

"I think we need a break" I say, and our eyes meet.

"It was a mistake; I promise you it will never happen again" he says, and I hold a hand to his chest.

I pecked his lips one last time and walked away.

"Just go Hero" I say in tears.

I wait by the door as he grabs his stuff. He looks at me with sad eyes and I can't stop crying.

"I love Jo" he says, and I shake my head and wipe some tears.

"I know you do Hero; I just need some time" I say, and he drops his bags and tackles me with a passionate kiss.

"I'm sorry, I never meant to hurt you" I say, and he leaves.

I close the door behind me and lean against it crying.

I headed to the kitchen, found a bottle of wine and I poor myself a glass. I lay on the couch and scroll through the tv channels, but I cry more than anything.

What a great romantic night I'm having.

After crying for hours in the living room, I headed to my room and opened my dresser.

I pulled out the lingerie I bought for tonight and I threw it in the trash.

I strip from my clothes and start a bath.

I will pour myself another glass of wine and reflect on tonight.

Was I wrong for getting upset with Hero? He was drunk, he didn't know better, right? That's not an excuse. My mind tosses and turns. I don't know what to do.