Chapter 14

I wake up from the sound of the doorbell.

I turn round and look at the clock that reads two in the afternoon.

I put a robe on, and I fixed my hair as I ran downstairs. I look at the empty wine bottle on the floor and my eyes go wide. Get yourself together Jo.

I open the front door and it's a Hero with flowers and coffee.

"What are you doing here" I say, bringing him into the house, so the neighbors can't see.

"I want to talk" he says.

"I don't want to talk to you right now" I say.

"I don't want to break up, I'm truly sorry Jo. What can I do to make this better" he says.

"Just stop talking, my head is killing me" I say, and he holds my hand, dragging me to the kitchen with him.

"You're hungry, aren't you" he asks, and I don't even bother lying.

"I drank a whole bottle of wine all by myself last night. It felt like the right thing to do" I say, and he hands me a cup of water and some medicine.

"Doesn't feel so good now" he says trying to make a joke, but I don't laugh.

"You can't just walk in here and act like everything is better between us. I'm still terribly upset with you" I say, and he sighs.

"I know" he says.

"I want to make this right" he adds.

"I want to work, and I don't know if I can get this thought from my mind" I say.

"Let me make it up to you, let me take you on a date. We can start fresh and start off slowly" he says.

"Hero, I don't know" I say and holds my hands.

"Please" he says gently, and I give in.

"Fine, but you need to try very hard in order to forgive you" I say.

"I'll have you wrapped in my arms by tonight" he says, and I give him a stern look.

"We're taking this slow" I say.

"Slow" he says back.

"Now get ready, our date starts in an hour" he says.

I roll my eyes and head to the shower.

A few minutes later

I walk downstairs in an old dress I had in my closet with a pair of white Toms. White toms always make me think of Tessa.

"You look stunning as always" Hero says as I grab my bag.

"So, where are we going?" I ask.

"Do you even know your way around here" I add.

"No, but I have a good idea where I think we can go" he says, and I cross my arms over my chest.

"Where?" I question.

A few hours later

Hero takes us to a Ferris wheel.

"A Ferris wheel" I say when I see it.

"It's a nice place for us to talk" he says, and I sigh as we're the next ones to get on.

I sit across from him and take in the beautiful country I call home.

"I'm sorry Jo" he says.

"You already said that" I say as the wheel starts to move our cart further up.