13. Maybe

Recommended song: Moux - Gaze

Jimin walked to his room dazedly, still feeling under pressure because the previously heard things.
He just simply couldn’t digest that all of this happened to the boys he was living with. How, when the Kim brothers were all kind, smiley, empathic… While Seokjin had to take care of his brothers since he was fourteen and pay attention to them as – according to Namjoon’s pervious statement – their grandmother was usually busy with her colorful social life. And the three of them, if not financially, then emotionally had to depend on each other. Namjoon was twelve, old enough to understand what happened, yet still too young for his own little world to crumble down to ashes because of losing his parents. Taehyung was at least young enough to not remember much of the incident, yet he had to live his entire life with the thought that he didn’t have the most basic human need in his life: the unconditional love of a parent.
The boy only bluntly felt his door’s handle in his hand as he pushed it down to get in. Jimin stared at the carpet while he walked to the bed. He didn’t even have the strength to look up, yet he was forced when two feet in socks got into his field of vision.
“Tae” the boy whispered, as his gaze slide up on the figure.

Taehyung sat with his back crouched on the other’s bed with an uncomfortable look on his face, pressing one of Jimin’s plushies to his chest. The boy’s gaze was lowered as he sat there like a frightened puppy.
“I am sorry” he mumbled before the blonde-haired could speak up.
Jimin stared at his best – and only – friend confusedly.
“Tae…”
“Are you really angry because I lied to you?” asked the devastated boy, making Jimin close the distance between the two of them and hug the teen’s head to his chest.
“How could I hate you? You couldn’t tell me, and Tae… I’m really sorry for your parents.”
Taehyung loosened the embrace so he could wipe his eyes. Jimin hadn’t even noticed that the boy started crying.
“You know that I don’t like to be pitied, Chim” opposed Taehyung, but the other wrapped his arms around him again. Seeing Taehyung cry was worse than if he himself was sad.
“I know. Only now. Only today, okay?”
Tae patted Jimin’s back as he heard that the boy’s voice trembled too.
“Okay. I can stand it for a day.”

***

The next day, they all had lunch together. Exceptionally, everyone was home all Saturday, so they decided to make something special. Tae and Jimin tried to make a chocolate-cake somehow, that soon turned into a scene of giggles and throwing flour. Namjoon was reading at the small table in the room, while Jin and Jisoo sold their souls to make the rest of the meal perfect.
“Kim Taehyung, don’t you dare stick back your licked finger into the chocolate cream, or you can eat all of it alone!” yelled Jin’s wife when she saw what the teen was planning to do. However, instead of being ashamed of himself, Taehyung’s eyes shimmered at the threat.
“Hey, wait, even I didn’t think this seriously! Then you can’t eat from the cake later if you put your finger in it again.” The woman quickly corrected herself, making everyone laugh.
“Chimmy would steal a slice for him no matter how you would try to stop him anyway” said Namjoon, not even looking up from his scientific magazine.
“Then he doesn’t get one either” crossed her arms Jisoo.
“Okay, I’ll just taste it with a teaspoon, jeez” the threatened rolled his eyes. “I can’t just let Chimmy not eat from the dessert.”
Tae flashed his white teeth with a big smile, and the blond boy got dizzy from the sight of the other for a moment.
Tae’s locks were covered in white flour at places, with an even bigger spot on his face. Because his smile, the boy’s eyes closed into thin crescents, as his eyelashes gently hit his skin.
Jimin’s lips curved into a smile, as he left his gaze on the boy a little bit longer than it would’ve been appropriate.
When he finally realized and turned his head, his gaze met Namjoon’s. They only locked eyes for a fleeing second, then both began to study something neutral; yet, Jimin wondered all night long later that if it was just a coincidence that they were looking at each other, or the doctor might have known what was on his mind.