{Captain Rex} Oh Captain, My Captain

The 501st was by far your favorite battalion to serve with. As an Arc-Trooper, you were often sent from front to front, planet to planet, and system to system. You hardly ever served with the same battalion twice, but that changed once you received a strange transmission reassigning you to the shadow world of Umbara.

     The moment your small shuttle landed at the rendezvous coordinates, you knew something was amiss. There's no one here to meet me. You unholstered your dual pistols, cautiously looking for whomever sent you the encrypted transmission. A single click of a blaster caused you to freeze.

     "____? Is that you?" a voice said from behind you.

     "Fives?" You spun around with a grin on your face. "Fives!" Unable to contain your excitement at seeing your closest friend, you wrapped him in a tight hug. "It's so good to see you again..." you trail off, "but I need to know why you called me here."

     Fives pulled back and gave you a look of confusion. "Call you here?"

     Now it was your turn to be confused, "If you didn't send the transmission, who did?"

     Another figure walked out from behind one of Umbara's various towering flora, "That would be me." He walked out into the light, revealing a clone trooper with distinct jaing eyes on the helmet under his arm.

      "Captain Rex?!" You immediately stood at attention.

     "At ease Arc-Trooper." You watched as he walked closer to you and Fives, "I reached out to you because we have a small problem on our hands."

     Fives rolled his eyes dramatically, "Biggest understatement of this whole war. We have a huge problem, General Pong Krell."

     The name alone was enough to send a chill down your back. "Krell? Where's General Skywalker?"

     They looked at one another before responding in unison, "Coruscant."

"Blast," you took off your helmet and ran a hand through your hair, "What are we going to do about it?"

Fives snickered slightly as Captain Rex went still. Of course he knew about the Grand Republic's experimental female non-clone Arc-Trooper, but he hadn't expected someone who was as beautiful as you. Before you could catch him staring, he cleared his throat and pulled his helmet on, "Before Fives explains, I need you to know you don't have to go through with this. The consequences for this mission are not beneath a court-martial if we don't play this right." He sighed, "I personally didn't want to bring you into this, but you're easily the best pilot in this sector. Fives."

     Fives nodded, "Jesse, Hardcase, and I have learned to fly the Umbaran ships, encrypted with access codes to the Separatist supply ship reinforcing the capital city. We need one more capable and quick-learning pilot to make a realistic squad."

     You smiled at the chance to fly once more, "I'm in, but I need to know why I'm going to possibly be court-martialed for this first."

     Rex looked from you to the other Arc-Trooper, "Because it's directly in violation of General Krell's orders. I cannot help you once you take off."

     A moment passed before you replied, attempting to weigh the pros and cons. With a smirk, you looked up, "Noted. Fives, let's go find this squad." Fives nodded and rushed off, leaving you and Rex alone. "Captain, I understand your concern, but Krell treats his men like numbers, like pawns. We are so much more than that, and you know it."

•••

The mission took a turn for the worst when you returned with your 'brothers' back to base. The supply ship had been destroyed, but Hardcase had been lost, and you were being held in a cell with Jesse and Fives, awaiting your court-martial. Both Rex Fives had tried to assume the blame, but you knew as well as they did that each one of you would pay for insurrection and disobedience. You were expecting to be sent back to Coruscant for further investigation since you were the Republic's favorite little experiment. What you weren't expecting was Captain Rex and a fully armed squad to visit you. That can only mean one thing.

     The others looked relieved to see Rex, but you couldn't look him in the eye. Instead, you shuffled your feet, listening as he explained that Krell had made an order for the three of you to be executed immediately. Fives and Jesse cried in outrage, "What? How? He can't do that!"

     You sighed from behind them, "He can. He has the authority to render punishment during combat." For the first time, you glanced up at the others, "It looks like this is it, boys."

     Rex opened his mouth to say something, but chose not to. Instead, you were escorted to the lift, where he gently placed a hand on your back, "For what it's worth, I am sorry. It's my fault that—".

     You cut him off, "Captain, this was my choice." Without thinking, you pressed a quick kiss to his cheek, leaving him in shock, "I would rather die for standing for what's right, than live in blind obedience for something I know is wrong. It was a pleasure to serve under someone who understands that. Goodbye, captain."

     Rex doesn't have time to reply before Dogma leads you over to where Jesse and Fives are lined up. Poor Dogma, he's still so oblivious to Krell's treachery. He's loyal, but so naive.

     None of you accepted blindfolds as the procedure began. Dogma ordered the squad to raise their blasters, but Fives chose this moment to speak up, "Wait! This is wrong, and we all know it. The general is making a mistake, and he needs to be called on it. No clone should have to go out this way! We are loyal soldiers." You grinned at him as he nodded to you before addressing the firing squad, "We follow orders, but we are not a bunch of unthinking droids! We are men. He chuckled lightly, "And a woman." You simply shrugged as he continued, "We must be trusted to make the right decisions, especially when the orders we are given are wrong!"

     The sound of blaster fire echoed across the base. When you opened your eyes, you noticed that not a single blast had touched you or the others. Dogma fumed while Captain Rex grinned, "They're doing the right thing Dogma, because if this is how soldiers are rewarded for heroic actions, then one day, every one in this battalion may face a similar fate." He turned toward the three of you, "Take off their binders."

     A pair of troopers rushed to Jesse and Fives. You were released from the binders by Rex himself. You smirked, "Oh Captain, my Captain, you sure are one sly clone." You gave him a quick peck on the lips and softly whispered, "Thank you."

     He blushed fiercely before replying, "You're most welcome, my dearest Arc-Trooper."

author's note:
     I can't believe I haven't written a single clone one-shot before this. I rewatched the Umbara arc last night and this magically popped into my head while watching it, so I hope you enjoy!!
     Update: I am a little stressed out over school right now. I am overwhelmed by school and have been trying to use TikTok and writing as an escape, but it's getting to the point where I don't even have time to do either of them anymore. I will keep trying to writing when I can, but it won't be as frequently as it used to be. I love you all!! 💙💙💙
May the Force be with you!
- Sarah