Four: The Governess

Chapter Four

The Governess

      Pippa's next several hours were spent inside her cold dark bedchamber, crying and more crying. She didn't expect that this beautiful dream could turn into a nightmare in just a blink of an eye.

      Seeing her long-lost father for the first time in almost two decades shocked and hurt her deeply. It crushed and shattered the hope of her having a whole new life.

      Deciding to finally leave Manila was her grand ticket to a new life. She was more than ready to start over again, to be born again into a new person, free from the painful memories of her past but that seemed impossible now.

      All are down in the drain in a snap and the saddest of it all is that, she's like a prisoner now, trapped in a dream-like place but living in a hell-like situation.

      Finding out the truth– if that is really the gospel truth and listening to her father's confession didn't help at all. Instead, this just made matter worst.

      She knew her mother was a lonely soul. She may not be a good mother but God knows how hard she tried. Every single day was a struggle for her but she tried her best to be there for her. And with everything that she has heard, it seemed her mother was the one at fault here. And she felt really guilty just by thinking about it.

      Despite Louise's lots of bad days, there are rare times that she could be a real darling, an epitome of a loving and hardworking mother.

      Every year, on Pippa's birthday or occasions like Christmas or New Year, she will do her best not to touch any liquor so she could stay sober and celebrate the entire day with her only daughter.

      These are the days that make Pippa the happiest. They would dine out the whole day, shop around like crazy socialites and talk like normal mothers and daughters.

      They would drive out of town and explore the nearby county side. They would spend the day watching the sky, the mountains, the forest, the beach or wherever their feet take them.

      She was always beyond thankful for these days even though she knew that the next days would be the same as the past ones—dark and lonely.

      All her life, her mother made her believe that her maternal grandparents have left them a huge amount of money for them to live comfortably. However, as she grew older, she figured it out that her mother has an extremely generous benefactor and that grandparents-leaving-them-a-fortune-whatnot was just an alibi to keep her secret well-hidden.

      Many times, in the past, this exact same thing has crossed the young woman's mind– that her father was her mother's benefactor. And with Alfonso's confession, it now made a lot of sense, it all added up– the lavish lifestyle at least on Louise's part and the bottomless bank account under their names.

      However, she couldn't fathom why her mother continued to tell lies about her father. She was made to believe that her father was a spineless asshole who has long ran away from his responsibility.

      It hurts her to think that her mother turned out to be the villain in this story, that Louise Olaguer was a selfish lying bitch. They crying woman refused to think that. For her, her mother was the oppressed victim here. A lost lonely soul who tried her best to take care of her daughter.

      Yet, she also couldn't fathom why her mother chose to let her grew up without a father, reminding her so often that she was the unluckiest of all because she happened to have an irresponsible and dastard father.