Seven: The Thunderstorm

Chapter Seven

The Thunderstorm

      Hours passed but still there was no sign of the young woman. Deeply worried, the old Italian man has discreetly dispatched two trusted men to look for her.

      Thinking that Pippa was just holed up in some empty room inside the estate, he asked Stefano and Armond to search the entire place.

      Alfonso was still inconsolable but he was a lot better now than minutes ago. He sat quietly at the foliage room with the prince and the adviser. "She shouldn't be running like that. It's almost dusk and gray clouds are forming on the horizon. It will be cold soon." The anxious father said.

      The two other men did say nothing to this, they stayed silent, obviously enslaved by their own thoughts and worries. "This is all my fault." He added in murmur.

      "Don't say that, Fonzy. Things happen so stop blaming yourself. The house and the entire ground are being searched as we speak. They will find her soon enough." Vittorio Altamari admonished the distraught man.

      With a darken demeanor, the young monarch turned to his godfather. "This wasn't your fault, it was mine. She ran away because she heard me called you daddy." He stated in a grim voice.

      Both the older men, gazed at the royalty. "Please, stop this. This is no one's fault, va bene?" Again, the kind old man interjected. It was clear that despite all the ruckus, Vittorio Altamari remains the voice of reason.

     In response, Alfonso Arias, patted Prince's Aaki's left knee. "Papa Vitto is right." Finally, agreeing to the truth.

       "On a brighter side, our dear girl, seemed affected by Prince Aaki's words and I think this is a positive sign. I'm sure she's a bit jealous to say the least. You calling her father daddy, has clearly affected her in a big way." Papa Vitto voiced out the very thing he was thinking.

       He couldn't see anything but a daughter getting jealous of someone calling her own father, daddy while she, herself couldn't do it.

      "I hope this would serve as a lesson for all of us. Let's not rush things. Patience is a virtue and that is the truth. In time Pippa will realize your words and things will fall into place. All we have to do is wait, learn to be more patient and stay optimistic." The eldest in the group eyed both the younger men.

      Vittorio Altamari is like a father to both so the two nodded their heads in understanding. "Let today be our reminder in the coming days and let's try our very best so this won't happen again."

       Again, the men moved their heads in unison, totally agreeing and accepting the Italian man's wise words.

       A loud thunder boomed on the horizon instantly cutting their conversation and leaving all three men more worried.

       The trio stood up and one by one, sauntered towards the entrance. There they were met by a breathless Stefano, "Papa Vitto, we couldn't find her anywhere. I've searched all the rooms as discreetly as possible but she's not there." The tall bearded Italian announced.

      Upon hearing this, the prince tilted his head and looked at the sky. Dark clouds are rapidly gathering at the east, brewing a rather nasty thunderstorm.

      "How about the grounds? The winery, the cottages, the piazza?" He asked looking very ill at ease.

       The man in question answered automatically, "Emeril and the others have closed the winery early, your highness. He called a few minutes ago, telling me that Pippa isn't there. And I scoured the length of the piazza, from the east wing to the west end. She's not there either."