Chapter Five

After about twenty minutes, we pull up to Mirage. I hand the driver some cash and step out of the cab, spotting Tiffany walking towards the club from the opposite direction.

She stops dead in her tracks, gives me a once over and whistles. "Damn, girl! I don't know what you've done with my best friend, but I like it!"

Rolling my eyes, I turn away and head to the VIP line. Not hearing her heels clacking against the concrete behind me, I turn around. "You coming?"

She narrows her eyes at me while folding her arms across her chest. "After a compliment like that, I expected more than an eye roll."

"What, exactly, did you have in mind Miss Campbell?" I know she is just being her typical self, but I am afraid I might change my mind on this whole night out if I do not get inside right away.

"Maybe you'd let me cop a feel, hottie?"

I give my best alluring look and shoot her a wink, "Buy me a shot and I'm all yours."

Tiffany gives me the 'z-snap' and I burst into laughter. "I'll be taking you home tonight!" she calls out as I, again, make my way to the VIP line.

Mirage is one of a select few clubs that are open on a Tuesday night and it is known for having the best party. Normally we come on Ladies' Night, but desperate times call for desperate measures. The line moves quickly as I dodge Tiffany's questions about what happened with Braden earlier.

"Lacey, I didn't expect to see you here tonight."

I was so busy talking to Tiff that I did not realize Oscar was working the door. Oscar is one of my regulars at the library and always ensures we get in on the weekends. Tall, tattooed and muscular, he is not someone you would peg for a bookworm, but he has a penchant for Elizabethan literature. Feeling a mixture of comfort and shame at seeing him this Tuesday night, I muster out a shy greeting, "Hey Oscar."

"I hope you're not here to retrieve that book I borrowed. I know it's overdue." He raises his hands defensively and I giggle at the suggestion.

"Your secret's safe with me," I whisper while covering my mouth.

He chuckles before resuming his stern, bouncer-like expression. "You two ladies enjoy your night. If you have any problems, you know where to find me."

Tiffany leans against my back and smirks, her breath against my ear, "I know where I want to find him." I groan as I watch them exchange flirtatious smiles with each other and pull Tiff by the arm into the club.

Mirage is busy tonight; people already on the dance floor, moving to the rhythm of the music as the strobe lights flash with the beat. Bodies gyrating as people let loose, releasing the stresses of the day with alcohol, dancing and sexual hookups.

Through the haze of the smoke, we do a quick walk-through, looking for a booth, or at the very least, some place to sit. I get the feeling that someone is watching me and make a quick scan of my surroundings. Not seeing anything unusual, I start to turn back when I find myself staring directly into the eyes of my observer.

Even from a distance, I can tell that this guy is out-of-my-league hot. He has this aura about him that commands attention. Tall, dark hair, chiseled jaw, and eyes that seem to peer right into my soul; this man is sex on legs. He is dressed stylish, but casual; a black velvet sports jacket covering a dress shirt that exposes the top of his chest, as he has left the top three buttons undone, and perfectly fitted black dress pants, complimented with a pair of Chelsea boots. His penetrating gaze on me holds steady as I take him in. What is going on with me? I was just dumped and I'm already lusting after some new guy.