Chapter Twelve

Nikolai guides me to his car, which is parked in front of my building. After helping me in, he walks around to his side and we drive off, navigating the streets until he veers onto the Don Valley Parkway.

With only the sounds of jazz music playing in the background, I am feeling a bit nervous. This is a date, an actual date, and I am not entirely sure I am ready for it. I still have not fully processed my breakup, if I can even call it that. Braden's explanation makes no sense and there has been no discussion since then. Truth be told, I don't even know if I want to see him again. This week has been a whirlwind and my emotions are all over the place.

Nikolai looks over at me and brings me back from my thoughts. Why are you thinking about Braden when you're with him? I see him look down at my hands that are fidgeting with my clutch zipper. He reaches over and takes my hand in his and I notice his hand is slightly trembling. Is he actually nervous, too? I was not expecting this. In the short while I have known him, he has always come across as confident, cocky and arrogant even, but since picking me up, he seems different. I would be lying if I said I was not surprised. I think I would be less shocked if he pulled over on the DVP and took me right here in the back of this car, but he has not even tried to make a move, in that sense. He is just driving, holding my hand as he rubs his thumb back and forth across mine. Completely different from Tuesday night when we were driving to his place after the bar and he was caressing my leg and teasing my core.

I hear him clear his throat and look up at him. "So, how was your day?

If I had a drink in my mouth, it would have shot out across the car. "Are you attempting to make small talk with me?"

His face turns red for the quickest of moments before he returns to his usual brooding expression. "Lacey," he says sternly, looking at me with disapproval, "I asked you a question."

Wanting to tease him a little, I reply with a shrug, "It was fairly typical. Nothing out of the ordinary."

"Is that so?"

"Mmhmm."

"I guess next time I'll have to up my game," he counters, his voice devoid of emotion. "Bend you over your desk and fuck you for everyone to see."

I could not stop the gasp that escaped from my mouth as I pictured this scenario. I hear him smirk and see him smile ever so slightly. There's the Nikolai I know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We drive into the downtown area and I look at all the skyscrapers and tourist attractions. Of course, my eyes are drawn to the Rogers Centre and the CN Tower. No matter how many times I pass this area, I always tend to look a little bit longer at these structures.

Nikolai turns off at the next exit ramp and I recognize immediately that we are headed towards the CN Tower. He pulls up at the parking lot and the valet comes to greet us. We walk to the tower and make our way to the elevator. He notices the look of excitement and wonder on my face and gives me a puzzled smile.

"I've never been here before."

"To the restaurant?"

"Yes," I answer, "but even just inside the CN Tower."

A look of shock registers on his face. "You live in Toronto and have never been in the CN Tower?"

I laugh at how surprised he is by my admission. "I've only been living here since last year. I grew up in Ottawa."

"I hope you're not afraid of heights," he replies, looking slightly worried.

"No, no, definitely not," I assure him, and a smile returns to his face.