7| Candy shop

Chapter 7: Candy shop (Emma's POV)

It was about 6 in the evening and I was craving candy. All types of it. Gummy bears, sour candy, hard candy, sticky candy, the kind that sizzles on your tongue, Pop Rocks. You know what I'm talking about. 

"Mom!" I called out, standing up from the couch. We were lucky to get the house fully furnished before we bought it and the fact that we bought it rather than leased it out suggests that we'll be here for a while. 

"Yeah, honey?" she called back out from the kitchen. 

"I'm going to the candy shop," I said while heading for the front door. I decided to walk cause the store I'm talking about isn't too far from here. It's called Candyland, boring, I know. But this store has been there since I was a kid and it sells all kinds of sodas and candy. It's basically a little kid's paradise. 

"What? Candyland? Oh, bring me some," she chuckled. I told her okay and then pulled my slides on, heading for the store. When I walked in there, I saw the same man. He's really old now, whoa. 

"Mr. Tommy?" I asked, that's the name he goes back. 

"Yes, dear?" he smiled. He eyed me for a minute in confusion before recognition took over his features. "Oh, Emma Hayden, isn't that right?" he laughed. 

I nodded, grinning at him, "I'm back. You still keep my favorite candy all the way at the back?" I asked. 

"Sure do," he nodded, "Welcome back to town, kiddo." 

"Thank you," I chuckled, walking back over to the store. All the good candy, the ones I was talking about, he keeps back here. It's something I feel like only his elite customers know about, aka, me. I grabbed the gummy bears off the first shelf, easy. Then I grabbed Sour Patch Kids, Warheads, then I grabbed 5 packs of Pop Rocks, I think I've rediscovered my obsession for them. 

"Wow, you're a candy junkie too?" I jumped, looking up and seeing Nathan. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked. 

"Getting candy," he deadpanned. 

"Really? I had no idea." I rolled my eyes and grabbed the last of the candy I wanted. 

"You enjoy Pop Rocks that much?" he asked, following me to the counter. 

"Yes, I enjoy Pop Rocks that much," I said, placing the pile of candy on the counter. 

"Looks like you're making up for all the years you missed," Tommy chuckled. 

"I sure am," I smiled before turning to Nathan. "So, what are you really doing here? Other than feeding your candy obsession?" I glanced at the pile of candy in his arms as well. He took more Warheads than anything else. "You like sour candy?" 

"You like candy that sizzles and pops on your tongue," he said accusingly. 

"I didn't say liking sour candy was a bad thing, geez." I cleared my throat, turning to Tommy, noticing the way he turned up the radio when Candy Shop played. 

"Still with that sad old joke, Tommo? Playing Candy Shop inside a Candy Shop?" Nathan asked. 

He shrugged, moving around, dancing slightly while putting all my candy in a bag. "Thank you," I smiled, tipping him $15. I haven't seen the guy in years. I don't why, but even after my check out, I waited for Nathan. 

"Can I help you?" he asked, taking money out and placing it on the counter. 

"No," I shrugged. 

He eyed me weirdly before taking all his candy in the bag. "Thanks," he nodded. He then turned to me, probably wondering if he made a mistake becoming friends with me.