21| Baby

Chapter 21: Baby (Emma's POV)

I was pulling on my shoes when my phone started ringing beside me. "Hello?" I answered, holding it between my ear and shoulder as Nathan walked in. 

"Hi, this is Emma, right?" a girl asked. 

"Yeah, that's me," I said, tying my laces. Nathan looked at me in confusion but I just shrugged my free shoulder at him. 

"I'm calling from the animal shelter, you were supposed to volunteer today, is that correct?" she asked. 

"Yeah, I was just leaving," I said, holding the phone now in my hands. 

"I'm very sorry to inform you, but you can't be volunteering here anymore. You see, we had a lot of people sign up this time around and most of them were available to foster but in your form, you said you can't foster or adopt, because of that we had to take more volunteers that could foster, and unfortunately you weren't one of them. For the time being, we have a lot of staff here, I'm very sorry," she said. 

"Oh," I said, my shoulders slumping, "Uh, that's okay, I was actually wondering if I could adopt one of your puppies, his name's August, he's a 6-month-toy poodle, could you just tell me if he's still available?" I asked. 

"What's going on?" Nathan asked, sitting beside me. 

"Just give me one moment," she said. 

I covered the receiver turning to him, "We're not going. I'll explain, just one sec," I said quickly. 

"August, right. We just had an applicant fill out a form for him this morning, you can fill one out as well if you like and then we'll go through both forms and decide who he's more suited to, would you like to fill one out? We can do it over the phone," she said. 

"Um, no, that's... that's all right. Someone already signed up for him, you said?" I asked, scratching my brow. 

"Two people did this morning," she answered. 

"Then that's okay, maybe another time, would you please let me know if and when you need other volunteers," I sighed. 

"Of course, thank you for your time," she said in a sing-song voice. 

"Thank you," I said before hanging up. 

"I'm very confused," Nathan said. I lay back down, groaning into my pillow. I started explaining to him what happened through the pillow but he stopped me halfway and yanked the pillow away. "I can't hear anything you're saying." 

I sat up with a huff, "There were a lot of volunteers and they needed as many that can foster or adopt, and because I couldn't, they took in some other volunteers, and now they have too many so I can't go. As for the puppy, he was adopted this morning," I explained. 

"Wait, you mean... you're not getting a puppy?" he frowned. 

"No," I sighed. 

"You're not getting a baby?" he mumbled. He looks so cute right now, it's not even funny. He's pouting, he has glassy, puppy eyes, his face looks adorable and squishy. 

"No, I'm not getting a baby," I groaned. I chuckled, "I was just about to make a very inappropriate joke, nevermind." 

"You were gonna say 'but we can make one right now if you want' I know," he nodded, rolling his eyes. 

"How did you know I was gonna say that?" I looked at him in shock. 

"What? That we can make a baby?" he laughed, "What other inappropriate jokes could you make?" He's not wrong.