29| Loser

Chapter 29: Loser (Emma's POV)

"Emmy." 

I crawled out of my closet and stuck my head out. "Hi," I grinned at my mother. 

"You're cleaning this up, I'm not helping," she said, looking at the mess I've made while looking for my teddy bear jacket. 

"Okay," I smiled. 

"Nathan's been waiting in the living room for 30 minutes, sweetheart, what on earth are you doing?" she chuckled. 

"Looking for my teddy bear jacket," I said, crawling back under the clothes and looking for them. 

"Dear God," she mumbled before I heard the door close. 

I dug around for a few more minutes until I finally found it. I crawled out, running my fingers through my hair. "Fucking finally," I said to myself while pulling the jacket on. I grabbed my phone and put it in my back pocket and put some money in there too. I had my hair tie between my teeth as I flipped my head over and gathered my hair. I threw it in a high ponytail while running down the stairs. I tied off my hair as I made it over to Nathan. "Sorry, sorry, sorry, I'm so sorry," I said, pulling my shoes on properly. 

"It's okay, I didn't mind," he chuckled, watching me hop around on one foot while pulling the other shoe on. 

"You've had the boy waiting for ages," my mom said from the kitchen. 

"Really? I had no idea," I said sarcastically, pulling the other shoe on. I kneeled down to tie up the laces and then stood back up. "We can go," I huffed. 

The drive was kind of long. 45 minutes at least. Let me take this time to explain where this fair is. When I was still here as a kid, there was this huge empty field, which had one giant Ferris Wheel, abandoned, just chilling in the very back. From what I remember, kids went there all the time to hang out and play around because nobody else would ever go there. 

But I take it now they utilize that spot for this fair and somehow fixed the ancient Ferris Wheel. 

"When you say the Ferris Wheel works, are you sure it really does? I mean, that's been there since our parents were our age," I said as we climbed out of the car and headed to the counter to get tickets. 

"I don't come to the fair, normally. But Brandon does and he's been on it every time. He says it works," he shrugged. I took out the money to pay for my ticket but he was already holding my ticket out for me. 

"Wristbands." We both put our wrists forward and the guy slapped the bands on. It's like a full-blown amusement park now. Wow. 

"Who sets this up?" I asked as we walked in. 

"Some students from our school do, actually. We get help from the Sheriff's department and a lot of parents like to join in." I nodded in understanding as both of us stopped. "What's first?" he asked. 

I looked between the first two stalls. There's either shooting water with a water gun into clown dolls' mouths and then there's shooting a balloon wall with guns. "That one," I said, pointing to the second one. 

"Guns over water guns noted," he chuckled. "All right, what do we win?" he asked the guy at the counter while paying. 

"Any toy you want," the guy replied. 

"And what have we got to shoot?" I asked. 

"The three balloons you aim for," he answered. 

"Ladies first," I nodded at Nathan. 

He rolled his eyes while smiling and took the gun. "You wanna tell me where to aim?" 

I looked at the board. "Top right, the blue one." He shot it. "Bottom left, the orange one." He shot that one too. "And dead center the green one."