:::: Part One Preface ::::

Nova didn't mean to run away. She was just overwhelmed. Everyone she got close to or loved left her in some way. The first time it happened was with her mom. Her mom didn't choose to leave her but cancer and not having money for treatment didn't leave room for a choice.

After her mom, when she was 10 years old, she was supposed to go into the foster system but instead, Sir Reginald Hargreeves adopted her. At first, she thought it was a blessing. He said he had been searching for her. He told her she was special because she was born on the first day of October on the twelfth hour in 1989 to a woman who had not previously been pregnant. He told her he knew about her powers and that he could help her learn to control them.

When she first moved into the Hargreeve's house it wasn't what she expected. The seven children who lived there were all weary of her. They didn't take too kindly to her. Except for Five. He was intrigued by the young girl and they quickly became close. That is until he disappeared when they were 13 years old.

The last person to leave her was Ben. At the time they were only 16. After Five disappeared Klaus and Ben took Nova under their wing. When Ben died in her arms while they were on a mission she was convinced that she was cursed. Why did everyone she got close to leave? Sir Hargreeves wasn't a very caring man. He blamed the whole academy for Ben's death and punished Nova for messing up.

Nova didn't even go to Ben's funeral. The guilt was eating her away. How could she have been so reckless? Now Ben was dead because of how careless she was. Instead of going to Ben's the young girl sat on the bench in the park that her mother used to take her.

She didn't know how long she sat there with tears rolling down her face. All she knew was that sometime after her fingers had gone numb from the cold a woman with platinum blonde hair and bright red lips sat next to her.

The woman told the teenager that she would give her a job where the girl wouldn't be alone. The woman prayed on Nova's vulnerability. She convinced Nova to make the worst decision of her young life.

She convinced Nova to join the Commission.

::::::::

Nova's Spotify Playlist: Nova Perez's Epic Time Travel Jams

First Published: 12/08/2020

Edited: 07/24/2023

Chapter Word Count: 424

Book Word Count: 796