xviii. twilight zone

THE SECOND FINAL BATTLE

↬•↫

in which caleb moore is proven a liar and faces one of his worst fears, then accompanies his sister on a dangerous mission that he has no intention of returning from

twilight zone | the gate

〖 there's a storm on the loose, sirens in my head, i'm wrapped up in silence, all circuits are dead 〗

there's a storm on the loose, sirens in my head, i'm wrapped up in silence, all circuits are dead

↬•↫

tw : implication and mention of child abuse and alcoholism,

psychosis, a lot of intense mental duress in a particular scene in this chapter, disturbing apathy towards death from a child

!implication of manipulative sexual assault¡

↬•↫

EL STEPPED into the living room, nose dripping red and a stern glare on her face, and the world fell away as her eyes scoped the room - which had gone silent but still felt so loud, so full.

She did not look to her brother first, and it was expected but he still felt his heart break a little when she met eyes with Mike and the world melted away a second time.

Caleb knew what love felt like now, thanks to Bob - and he could see it plain as day on Mike Wheeler's face when he stepped out from behind Hopper and let the candlestick holder fall to the floor, deflating in some kind of heartfelt relief as the girl stared at him and he stared at her, and everything fell back into place.

It took everything in him not let that heartbreak slip in completely, and he forced a smile as her eyes slipped over Mike's shoulder and finally fell on him.

El, much to his surprise and mild concern, immediately burst into tears and flung herself into his arms, burying her head in his shoulder as he pulled her into him and held her tight, head rested on her own.

"I'm so fucking sorry, Jane, I didn't mean to make you mad, I'm so sorry-"

"Wasn't mad. Don't be sorry - please don't be sorry." El shook her head, pulling away to look him in the eye, tears staining her flushed cheeks, "Shouldn't have yelled."

"I was so fucking worried about you, love." Caleb breathed, holding her by the shoulders in case she slipped away from him again, "I tried to find you and you wouldn't let me-"