bonus chapter | one

THE FLORIDA PARADOX

↬•↫

july 4th, 1985
↳ alternative timeline

in which teresa ives joined a support group instead, and the vanishing of will byers never occured

↬•↫

"JAKE, SLOW down, you're gonna kill us!"

Jacob pulled hard on the hand brake, bringing the car to a screeching halt as Becky cried out and tried to grasp the back of the seat to stop herself from flying through the windshield.

"Sorry, Becky." He grimaced as he slowly shut off the ignition, bringing the heavy metal song that had been pounding from the speakers to an end, "I'm getting better, though! I think..."

"No, you're getting more hazardous - don't laugh at him, Mel, you've had enough bad influence on him!"

"Wh - you're the one that wanted me to teach him how to do a U-turn!"

"Yeah, a legal one, not the kind that gets us fined for going through a shop window!"

"Oh, you've been fined for worse - besides, he's making progress!"

Becky glared but softened at the sight of the woman's mischievous smile, rolling her eyes as she pulled the car door open, "Come on, let's get the health risk out of the car before he lands us all in the ER."

"Hey! I didn't even almost hit anyone this time!"

"See, Beck? Progress!"

Jacob laughed as Becky shot them both one last scornful look before the door shut behind her. He turned to the woman in the passenger seat and they shared an amused smirk before climbing out themselves, Jacob reluctantly tossing her the car keys as they approached the convenience store.

He watched her jog up to Becky, who was walking with her arms crossed over her chest petulantly, and smiled as the annoyance slowly turned to reluctant adoration as her girlfriend tossed an arm around her shoulders and muttered something in her ear that made her laugh.

Melissa Cabernet was his aunt's person - this person that you meet at some point in your life that you love and take care of for the rest of it while they do the same.

That was how his mom had explained it to him and his sister the first time Melissa came for dinner, anyway.

Then again, it was kind of watered down for them due to the fact that they were eight years old and had no concept of romance. But it was a nice way to look at it.