vii. only the good die young

THE FUNERAL FOR THE BREATHING BOY

↬•↫

in which the party attend a funeral for someone who isn't dead and caleb moore starts to question his beliefs

only the good die young | the flea and the acrobat

〖 i'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints 〗

i'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints

↬•↫

THAT EVENING, Caleb sat on the chair of the basement couch with his hand rubbing Eleven's shoulder comfortingly, his body still recovering from the strain his hysteria had put on his already struggling mind. The pills he had taken that morning had long since worn off and left him feeling drained and a little aggravated, and Mike's incessant pacing certainly wasn't helping.

"Alright, let's start with the weirdest thing that happened." Mike decided, halting his repetitive actions to stare at Caleb who was on the brink of collapse. "Will could hear you, but not us. Why?"

Caleb shrugged, his eyes drooping with fatigue. "How the fuck should I know? I was holding onto El, maybe I got like... put through or something."

"Like a phone call?" Lucas deadpanned, giving the boy a mocking look.

"Yeah, like a fucking phone call!" Caleb yelled in exasperation, sinking into the couch with a tired sigh. "I don't know any more than you guys, stop asking me all these questions." He grumbled, brushing a strand of the wig out of Eleven's face. The girl was drained herself, barely holding onto her consciousness after the events of the previous hour.

"What was Will saying again?" Mike wondered aloud, sitting on the couch next to Eleven's feet and creasing his brow in thought. "Like home... but dark?"

"And empty." Lucas added, hands folded in front of him in reflection.

"Empty and cold... wait, did he say cold?" Dustin asked from the staircase, frowning at Lucas in question.

"I dont know! The stupid radio kept going in and out!" Lucas whined, though Caleb certainly hadn't had a problem hearing the words from Will's mouth, it was like they were in his own head.

"He said cold." Caleb confirmed, slapping himself in the face to keep himself awake. Fucking focus, you pathetic fuck.

Dustin groaned, staring up at the ceiling with an exhausted sigh. "It's like riddles in the dark."

"Like home." Mike resumed his pacing, only adding to Caleb's unease. "Like his house?"