xx. baby jane

THE HELLO THAT ALWAYS ENDS IN A GOODBYE

↬•↫

in which the eve of the byers family's departure finds jacob ives tying up loose ends in more ways than he expected, and jordan hopper makes some questionable choices in his newfound parenthood

reunions, first times, and a final goodbye

it's only just beginning

baby jane | battle of starcourt

〖 so long, darlin', i'll miss you, believe me 〗

so long, darlin', i'll miss you, believe me

↬•↫

JACOB NESTLED into the collar of his sweater as a bitter wind whistled through the street, kicking a lone pebble to the side and reaching down to lower the volume of the Walkman tucked into his pocket when he came to an intersection so he could listen out for incoming cars.

It was a Pink Floyd kind of day, the dismal tune of Comfortably Numb somehow comforting in its tragic rhythm as autumn continued to descend on the town of Hawkins.

A few people recognised him on his travels - one of Tim and Melissa's old work friends, a few kids from middle school, the journalist that had tried to urge a comment about Hopper's death out of him and Jordan on the day of the funeral, Mr. Clarke, and unfortunately Officer Powell.

Both of those last men made sure to pull him under the shelter of the nearest store to bestow their sympathies on him, Mr. Clarke leaving him with a few words of wisdom about not finding many friends like Will in his life and making sure to stay in touch no matter how far away he moved and wishing him luck in high school, and Officer Powell bowing his head as he muttered a few uneasy words about his father.

"I know Chief was lookin' after you, and I know you meant a lot to him - can't count on one hand how many times he went near crazy ranting and worrying about where you were, I've had to call off a lot of city-wide search parties."

Jacob had tried to laugh, but it sort of came out like a cough and it had been quiet for a moment.

"If you ever need anything, any one of us down at the station will do any favours that need doin' - we'll try keep the criminal record out of it, ay, kid? I best be getting back there, now, Lord knows what kind of trouble your brother's managed to stew up since I left."

Jacob thanked him and they said their goodbyes, and he had to take a moment before going on. He had thought of questioning Powell on the whereabouts of his wife several times, but Jordan had advised that it was a sore subject and that he didn't take too kindly to Callahan's jokes about the situation.