iii. take care of you

THE ART OF PRETENDING TO BE FINE

↬•↫

in which caleb moore forms a connection with the fiery new girl without even knowing it

take care of you | madmax

〖 you won't ever have to worry, you don't ever have to cry

you won't ever have to worry, you don't ever have to cry. i'll be there beside you, to dry your weeping eyes

↬•↫

"THIS PAPER is actual horseshit." Caleb deadpanned, tossing the assortment of pages into the front seat of Steve Harrington's car as the older boy threw his hands up in exasperation, staring at his girlfriend in disbelief.

"You're a total liar, Nance." Steve whined as the aforementioned girl glared silently at the boy in the backseat, to which he stuck his tongue out at her. "How am I supposed to trust you with this shit if you lie to me?"

"I wasn't ly - Caleb's overreacting." Nancy defended herself, crossing her arms over her chest and letting out a childish huff as she settled further into the passenger seat.

Caleb snorted, chewing loudly on the stick of gum Steve had offered him when he picked he and Mike up from the Wheeler residence that morning - much to the noirette's behest, who had thrown himself from the car the second they pulled up to the high school - and pulling his messenger bag over his shoulder as he patted Steve's cheek with a patronising smile. "Don't worry, Harrington, there's plently of other trustworthy girls in this town begging to criticise your college essay just for a few moments of your time." He grinned, shooting Nancy a short wink as Steve rolled his eyes in amusement. "You've caught yourself a ladies man, Nance. Keep him on a fucking leash."

"Language." Steve warned, looking up at the boy through the rearview mirror with a stern glare before glancing back down at his paper and sighing in defeat. "The deadline is tomorrow for early application. What the hell am I supposed to do?"

"Jesus Christ, are all teenagers this fucking ridiculous?" Caleb scoffed, adjusting his collar and staring at the older boy pointedly through the overhanging mirror. "So don't do early application, turn it in when it's actually fucking due and give yourself an extra - what, two months? - to get the paper done right, that way you're not as stressed and you have time to figure out what you're even gonna do once you actually get into college."

"You don't understand, kid, my Dad-"

"Oh, fuck your dad." Caleb rolled his eyes, waving off the words as if they were the most ridiculous thing he had ever heard. "Is your dad the one going to college? Is he the one stressing over deadlines and turning his hair grey over missing assignments? No, he's not. So he doesn't get a goddamn say in anything. Work at your own pace, take some time to make sure you're comfortable in whatever course you choose, and change it if it doesn't suit you." He shrugged. "Simple."