xiii. washing machine heart

THE INTERROGATION OF DR. ALEXEI

↬•↫

in which jacob ives utilises his old talents for the good of the nation, and murray bauman adds a new name to his wall of curious things

washing machine heart | the flayed

〖 though i've closed my eyes, i know who you pretend i am 〗

though i've closed my eyes, i know who you pretend i am

↬•↫

HOPPER PULLED him into his chest with a hand on the back of his head the second he stepped through, and Jacob knew that it meant he was scared, which meant that he probably should be too.

He smelled like stale beer and Burger King and his shirt was covered in stains but Jacob returned his embrace quickly, breathing in that familair scent of high-tar cigarettes buried under all the unsanitary musk.

"Hey," Hopper breathed, holding him at arm's length and giving him a quick glance over, frowning at the exhaustion clear on his face, "you doing okay, kid?"

"No time for that - where's the Russian?"

As Hopper led him through the dimly-lit hall, he stared at the back of the man's head and let himself think about Will's revelation in the basement - had he really taken it upon himself to adopt him?

Did he know what he was signing himself up for?

But why? Was it a legal thing, an extra precaution?

Or did he just do it to keep El happy?

They came to a stop at the entryway to the open-plan living room area which was just as document-cluttered and chaotically organised as the rest of the building, complete with ancient tapestry rugs and mismatched furniture.

On one of these said pieces of furniture, a leather green armchair, a man in distressed formal clothes with light olive skin and curly hair akin to Dustin's sat with his feet kicked up on the coffee table, laughing joyfully at the children's cartoon playing on one of the bigger TVs from the stack of them on the far wall.

"Jacob, meet Smirnoff."

The man glanced up at his name, then locked eyes with Jacob and barked out a loud laugh, turning to Hopper with an amused grin, "Tebe nuzhen malen'kiy mal'chik, kotoryy sdelayet tvoyu rabotu za tebya, tolstyak? On sobirayetsya spet' mne kolybel'nuyu? Eh?"